13. Only Child Expiry Date

Two months later.

Valkyrie Cain walked down the stairs, her baby bump protruding out from her body. Gabrielle and Skulduggery were waiting in the kitchen. Any day now, she thought.

Skulduggery and her had decided to keep the gender of their child a secret this time, waiting until the day he or she was born to find out. Slowly, Valkyrie made it to the bottom of the stairs, and Skulduggery smiled, approaching her.

"How are you today, Angel?" He asked, kissing her forehead.

"Tired," Valkyrie answered, leaning against him.

Gabrielle walked up, a grin plastered across her face. She carefully hugged her friend, and Valkyrie smiled back.

"I'll get you some water," Gabrielle offered, and Valkyrie nodded, watching as the blonde girl disappeared back into the kitchen. She looked up at Skulduggery and sighed.

"Soon..." She murmured, and he pulled her close.

"You ready?"

"Maybe. I don't really know." She sighed again. "Where's Sophie?"

"She's upstairs in her room."

Valkyrie nodded and smiled as Gabrielle walked back over to them, a glass of water in her hand. "Here," she said, holding it out.

"Thanks Gabby," Valkyrie said, taking it from her and bringing it to her lips. Gabrielle turned away, and Valkyrie saw a sparkle in her blue eyes. Valkyrie swallowed, the cool water running down her throat, and Gabrielle turned back around.

"Nice?"

"Yes. Thanks," Valkyrie replied, then she froze. "Uh... we have a situation."

"What's wrong?" Skulduggery asked.

Valkyrie stared up at him.
"It's coming."

Skulduggery scooped her up into his arms carefully and stared at Gabrielle. "Get Sophie and we'll meet you at the Sanctuary," he ordered, before disappearing outside the front door.

Gabrielle waited until she heard the Bentley's engine roar to life before she headed up the stairs towards Sophie's room. She could faintly hear the child crying, and pushed open the door.

"Sophie," she whispered. The baby kept wailing. Gabrielle approached the cot and lifted the screaming child into her arms. She rocked back and forth until Sophie stopped crying and stared up at her with big brown eyes. She gurgled and Gabrielle smiled. "Your only child expiry date is here," she whispered, before walking out of the room and back down the stairs.

***

Valkyrie was in pain, that's what Gabrielle heard as soon as she stepped foot in the Medical Wing of the Irish Sanctuary. She winced when Sophie let out a wail.

"It's okay," she cooed, trying to calm the baby. Sophie cried, and she rocked back and forth on the balls of her feet, attempting to comfort her.

Gabrielle sat on the bench outside the room and waited, still doing her best to calm Sophie.

***

"It's time," Claret breathed, and an evil smirk formed on Ravel's face.

"Do it," he urged.

Claret's eyes slid closed for a moment, and she felt the link form between her and Skulduggery. Ravel watched her intently, eyes sparkling with anticipation. After a few moments, the blonde Necromancer's eyes flew open. "It is done," she breathed, her eyes black as the shadows seeped out of the ring on her finger. "Felony's done what we've asked. It's all going to plan."

***

Gabrielle's legs were numb by the time Skulduggery stuck his head outside the door and smiled at her.

"We have an Isabella Tanith," he told her.

Gabrielle couldn't stop the massive goofy grin that spread itself across her face. "Can I see them?"

Skulduggery was about to answer when Reverie's frantic voice rang out.

"Skulduggery!"

His green eyes widened and he disappeared back inside the room.

Gabrielle's heart was pounding, and she stood up quickly, holding Sophie close to her chest. She approached the door and peeked inside, just in time to see Reverie place a Sunburst on Valkyrie's chest.