𝙋𝙖𝙧𝙩 𝙚𝙡𝙚𝙫𝙚𝙣- 𝙉𝙤, 𝙞𝙩'𝙨 𝙣𝙤𝙩 𝙨𝙩𝙪𝙥𝙞𝙙

"Hey" y/n greeted as she walked over to the odd squad, who were gathered in the car park.
"Hey" two voices replied, Dash and Robin staying quiet.

Robin was a protector, and was always unconsciously making sure that her friends were safe. She felt as though she had failed, watching her friend walk off into dangerous territory, and it made her feel quite small inside.
Y/n was new, naive to the monsters of Hawkins, and looked to be willing to walk straight into the emotionally straining trap which is high school. She needed to keep her safe, even if she didn't do it consciously.

"Go anywhere with Steve?" Robin made conversation, not making eye contact.

"Just back to his."

Kate looked over at her, eyes wide. "You went to Steve Harrington's house last night?" She asked, wondering if she had heard wrong.

"Yeah, It's quite a big place actually."

"Never mind the size," Kate continued. "You actually went to his house? Who with?"

"Tommy and Carol- Steve as well obviously"

"God y/n, you'll be way to cool to be hanging out with us now."

Y/n scrunched her eyebrows. "Huh?"

"You don't know? Everyone'll want to be friends with you now- just so they can get a chance to get in Steve's pants."

She huffed, finding the situation completely stupid. "If I didn't even get the chance to, Kate, they definitely won't."

Dash chuckled, elbowing Milton in the ribs. "Girls, eh?"

Milton blinked, and didn't reply.

-

Y/n walked into the lunch hall with her tray in hand, panning the room for any free seat. The odd squad were all doing their lunch time activities- all apart from Robin. Robin was sat with Mr Hauser, chatting about god knows what.

As she paused for a second to take a look in, she caught Steve's eye. Rolling her own, he beckoned her over.

"Alright?" She asked as she placed her tray onto the table.
"Yeah we're fine" Steve replied, pushing his lunch away from him and stretching his legs.

"So how long'd you two stay at Steve's for after I left?" Y/n turned to Carol and Tommy, who both gave her a 'not cool' glare.

"What're you talking about, y/n?" Tommy asked with a fake innocence, stabbing a sausage with his fork.

"Yeah y/n, how'd you know they were at mine?" Steve added, giving a small 'I got this' nod to the couple.

Nancy's face fell. She'd seen straight through them.
"You were at his house last night?" She questioned kindly, but hurt burned behind her eyes.

"Oh for god sake-" y/n started putting her fork down. "Ok for one, you didn't tell her? And two, it wasn't like that, I have no interest in your Boyfriend, Nancy."

"Boyfriend?" Steve replied, "we're not together, y/n."

"Try telling her that" y/n nodded towards Nancy who had already made her way over to the door, disappearing out into the corridor.

"Great, y/n, thanks." Steve fake-thanked her, throwing his hands up in dissatisfaction.

"Not my problem, Harrington, I'll leave this one up to you."

Y/n ditched her lunch, finding herself full with guilt instead of food. In all honestly, Wheeler sounded like a really sweet girl, and she felt the need to clear the air between them. Y/n wanted Nancy to know that there was absolutely nothing between her and Steve and it was all a big misunderstanding. She could have as much of Steve as she wanted, it didn't bother her in the slightest.

Being a girl who knows other girls, she headed straight over to the girls bathroom. As expected, there was a singular locked cubicle.

"Nancy?" Y/n called out, taking quiet steps.
All she got in reply was a slight sniffle.

"Nancy I'd like to speak to you, if that's okay?"

A few moments passed, and y/n turned to leave. Nancy didn't want to speak, and she respected that.

As she opened the door, the cubicle door clicked.
"Wait" a small voice said, and out walked a tearful girl.

"You okay?" Y/n asked after a moment, letting Nancy grab some tissues. "I'd like to speak about what happened, if you'd let me."

The tearful girl sniffed and nodded, shaking her head. "It's stupid, I know."

"No, no, it's not stupid, but it'd probably help a bit if I explain."
She took a deep breath. "Look, it's my first week here, and to be honest I don't even know why Steve decided to speak to me. Maybe he saw me hanging around with the band kids and decided to remove me from the situation before it was too late- like it's a bad thing. I have no feelings for Steve whatsoever, and I'm guessing he'd say the same about me. He wanted to hang out, see who I was- my deal and all that. If I knew that you'd accepted the fact that I was meeting up with him, I would've been okay with it- and he told me that you'd be there anyways so that's why I was."

Nancy nodded.

"The plan wasn't to go back to Steve's, and to be honest I didn't even know that Tommy and Carol would be there, which is probably to be expected most days. The whole situation was shitty and I wish that it wasn't, but that's what happened."

The girl before her wiped her eyes and tossed the tissue into the toilet, flushing the chain.
"You don't need to apologise, I don't really know what's happening with me and Steve anyway. I thought we were a thing, but obviously I was wrong. He probably wanted to prove that he was a decent guy by giving the wierdo a chance with him. Make the girls jealous that someone like me could get with someone like him. I shouldn't of expected anything, honestly. I knew from the get-go that it was too good to be true."

Nancy took a deep breath and then widened her eyes. "Oh my god, I'm so sorry"

"For what?"

"For getting you mixed up in my problems."

"No, honestly it's fine, and I'm not a person to go spreading all your information either- so you don't need to worry. I'll be around if you need to talk."

Y/n patted her bag and turned to the door, venturing out into the corridor. She was glad that the air was clear once again between the two of them.