𝙋𝙖𝙧𝙩 𝙩𝙬𝙚𝙣𝙩𝙮 𝙨𝙚𝙫𝙚𝙣- 𝙉𝙤𝙩 𝙠𝙞𝙙𝙨 𝙖𝙣𝙮𝙢𝙤𝙧𝙚

Less than three hours until prom

Robin stood in-front of her mirror, running her fingers through her hair. Her heart and her brain were at war, one telling her to go, one telling her to cancel. She knew deep down that she would regret it if she did, so locked her conscious thoughts away.

Her suit fitted perfectly, and it was actually quite sentimental just standing there, surrounded by silence. She smiled at the girl who stood before her, and let a tear fall. She'd got this far, so what was a little longer?

The telephone on the bedside table rang, and Robin answered swiftly.
"Hello?"

"Hey, it's Milton, are you ready for tonight?"

She took a deep breath. "Yeah, I think so."

"Well, you can't be thinking, you need to be knowing."

"Okay then, I know I'm ready."

That was a lie, as she didn't feel ready in the slightest. It was a weird feeling, knowing that she wanted something so much, but her body was stopping her from pursuing the matter. It was a feeling that she'd felt multiple times before, but not to that extent.

"Well that's good then. I'll drive by and pick you up at quarter past, give us a bit of time to get there."

"Sounds good."

"Is your mystery date going to be meeting you?"

"Yes, they will be."

"God I've been trying to figure out who it is all day! Do I even know them?"

"Yep," Robin replied, quite panicked. "Pretty well actually. Now goodbye Milton, I have to continue getting ready."

"I thought you were done-"

Robin slammed the phone back down in its cradle. Time was inching closer to when the Odd Squad were going to find out that their friend was actually going with their other 'friend', and she hoped that the results would be positive.

Perhaps she would take y/n's offer to just go as 'friends', and say that her date had cancelled last minute. The possibilities were endless.
Doubts filled her mind once again, just like they had been doing so easily those last couple of days. Robin sat herself down on her bed.

She stared at the wall, imagining the perfect prom night in her head. Fruit punch, dancing, happiness, joy. After all, if things went badly, she could always rely on her imagination to make things right again.

-

Y/n pulled the dress out of her closet. The green fabric shimmered slightly against the light, and she tossed it onto the bed.
With a huff, she placed her hands on her hips.
"Well, this is going to be a challenge."

The fabric tugged and pulled as she tried to pull it over her head, and with extreme effort, she managed to pull it into place. Patting down the floor-length skirt, y/n sighed.

Waddling over to the mirror, she pulled the sleeves into place. They sat just below her shoulders, giving the impression that the dress was shoulder-less, but still had the support.

"This is it, y/n." She said to her reflection. "You're not a kid anymore."

And just like that, their childhood had ended. Naturally, everyone who was going to prom felt the same way, all unknowingly to each other.

Leaning closer towards the glass, she fixed up her makeup and pinned back her hair, letting the underside flow down her back.
This was it, the start of the rest of her life. The whole scenario felt like making that first impression all over again. You really got to know who people were at prom, and this was her. This was y/n.

And even though she would've felt more confident in a suit, not a forest-coloured dress, she knew that this was it. This was the outfit that would make her prom night perfect. Hopefully.