𝙋𝙖𝙧𝙩 𝙩𝙬𝙚𝙣𝙩𝙮 𝙤𝙣𝙚- 𝙃𝙚𝙧 𝙤𝙧 𝙝𝙞𝙢

Two days before prom

Today was the day, the day where Robin was going to ask y/n to prom.
She got ready that morning, making sure to make extra effort with everything she did. She wanted it to be perfect- and fast. Perfect and fast. Robin was ready for rejection, and less so ready for acceptance. Third period was the time to do it, right at the very end.

-

Today was the day, the day where Steve was going to ask y/n to prom. He'd arranged it for the end of period three, and he was going to pull her out of class to ask. He sprayed an extra puff of Farrah Fawcett hairspray, and even though y/n seemed to think it was stupid, he betted that she loved it really.

He met Carol and Tommy outside of his house, and started the journey to Hawkins High.

-

Y/n dodged her classmates as she headed down the seemingly never-ending corridor, wanting to do nothing else but get to class. The buzz of the high-schoolers was heightened like never before, even more so than the Californian drama. Maybe this literally was the only exciting thing in the whole of the high school experience here. She assumed it was.

The conversation even continued in the classrooms, and the band rooms, and by the end of period two, she was sick of it already.

Third period came around painstakingly slow, and it seemed like time was repeating itself. Minute, after minute, after minute- and it made Robin feel quite sick. She sat in the music room, hunched over at break, planning a script in her mind of what she was going to say. Everything in her body wanted her to go to Mr Hauser, offload her stress onto him and hide away forever...But that's not what Buckley's do. Buckley's are brave, adventurous, and she wasn't going to let the family down. Even though her asking a girl probably would anyway.
No Robin, she lectured herself. Don't think that way.

Seconds passed by like minutes, until the time had come. Go time.

Robin rose from her seat, thanked the teacher which was supervising, and occupied a strong march out of the practice room, boxing up her worries and tossing them to the back of her mind.

-

"So, time and space-" Mr Clarke started the class, pointing to a drawing on the chalkboard. "It's a fascinating concept, really..."

Y/n yawned, leaning back in her chair. Robin sat beside her, bouncing her leg like some sort of ritual.
"Robin, are you alright?" She asked upon noticing, then gestured to her leg.

The girl beside her stopped biting her nails and widened her eyes. "Oh, uh, yeah, I'm fine. Totally fine- just had a bit too much coffee, I think."

Y/n chuckled quietly. "Coffee, eh?"

Robin nodded and tried to contain her nerves. There was less than an hour left until she would ask, and her stomach was on the verge of spilling its contents.

Clarke's demonstration carried on for another three-quarters of an hour, and Robin just prayed that it would be over soon. If he carried on any longer, she'd forget all her plans through nerve...Shit. She realised she'd already done that.

Robin couldn't wait any longer. There was less than five minutes left in class, and she was going to go for it. The girls toilets were always another option too, if she wanted to get out of there fast.

"Right class, if you would like to wrap up your notes, then you can pack away your things." Sir announced, turning off the projector.

Robin took a deep breath as they started to pack away.
"Um, y/n, can I ask you something?"

"Yeah, sure" she smiled in return, zipping up her bag.

"Well, I was just wondering, and it's totally okay if you say no, and I won't be disappointed or anything, but I was just wondering if you, you know-"

"Robin" y/n stopped her as the pace quickened.

"Right, yeah, sorry." Robin slowed down and breathed a bit. "I was just wondering whether you would like to go to prom with me on Friday?" She'd done it- the question was out.

Y/n blinked just as the door opened. A full head of hair peeked around the frame, and called for Mr Clarke.
"Sir," Steve caught his attention. "Could I just borrow y/n for a moment?"

"Of course, go ahead Mr Harrington" he smiled unknowingly.

Y/n looked from Robin, to Steve, and then back to Robin. "I'm so sorry." She announced before grabbing her bag and walking out of the door with Steve.

Robin sat, mouth opened slightly. She promised herself that she wouldn't be disappointed when things went wrong. She had broken that promise.

-

"What, Steve?" Y/n asked as the two of them made it into the corridor. "This better be damn important, I swear to god."

"It is important. I was going to ask if you wanted to be my date to the prom?"

Y/n opened her mouth, but then closed it, speechless. Oh god.

"I- I have to go. I'm sorry, Steve."

She turned on her heel, and headed off down the corridor, leaving him dumb-founded outside of the classroom.

"What the hell was that?" Steve muttered to himself, not expecting her to decline.

What the two hadn't realised, is that neither of them had been declined, just unanswered.