𝙋𝙖𝙧𝙩 𝙩𝙬𝙚𝙣𝙩𝙮 𝙛𝙞𝙫𝙚- 𝙏𝙝𝙚 𝙡𝙖𝙨𝙩 𝙛𝙧𝙚𝙚 𝙣𝙞𝙜𝙝𝙩

Robin sat on her bed, staring at herself in the mirror. It astounded her that someone like y/n would actually go to prom with someone like her. The girl had never thought well of herself, but figured that would come in time. Accept herself first, and then her looks. It would all come together in the end... hopefully.

A sigh sounded from her mouth. Tonight was the start of the rest of her life. The last night in which everything was okay, everything was safe. From then on out, she was at risk of the world- The cold, unaccepting world.

Robin stood and knelt down, reaching far for a box under her bed. She found it, and placed it onto the covers.

The edges were frayed, and the brown string bow was sitting loose, but yet again, her whole life was practically in this box. A Polaroid, a souvenir of any big moment, birthdays, new friends, new jobs, and now, another needed to be added- The night before prom.

Grabbing her Polaroid from her bedside table, she lined it up perfectly against her face. Robin liked to see how much she had changed from each big occasion, the last being the start of Operation Croissant.

The flash lit up the room. Another memory had been stored.
The camera vibrated in her hand, and before long, spat out a black piece of paper. Tearing it off, Robin shook it until it became clear. That was it, the last free night of her life.

Discarding the picture, she closed up the box.

-

Y/n tossed her school bag onto the floor, heading straight over to the closet. She had already planned an outfit out in her mind, now it was just time to put it together. She already had an emerald green dress, which nearly reached the floor, and at this late a notice, was her only choice.

She made a mental note to pair it with some fully black converse, and was done for the day.
Y/n would've much preferred some sort of trouser-blouse combination, but decided it was way too late to change her mind. The dress was nice, just not really her style. Hopefully Robin would like it, that's what mattered.

-

Steve fried some eggs in a pan for himself. His parents weren't home, yet again, which wasn't really a surprise. He was glad about it, actually. At least he wouldn't disappoint them with the lack of a date to prom. The plan was to pretend that he went with Ashley, and to say no more of the matter.

He kicked himself for not asking y/n earlier, for letting his cockiness get ahead of him. He wasn't ready for rejection, and now he wasn't ready for anything.

It seemed like only yesterday that they met, not a whole damn month. But was time actually real anyway? It was a question to be left unanswered.

The eggs he was cooking smelt and looked done, so he shovelled some onto a plate. He wasn't at all hungry, but figured he needed to eat. Perhaps he should've gone shopping, as eggs was the only thing he could cook up quickly in the house.

He thought back to Nancy. Nancy was the girl he was going to ask, going to go with, going to date, possibly even marry. Now everything had gone down the drain, and all chances were gone. He should've stuck with her, should've realised earlier. But he didn't, and that was final.

At least he had his friends, even though they were a lot younger than him- which was quite stupid. If he busied himself with sorting out their needs instead of his, and being a pretty damn good babysitter, he maybe didn't even need girls at all. It was a thought.