| 17. hotel dumort

******

ASHER FOLLOWED ALEC quietly as they slipped into the Institute. By now, the common area was vacant of any Shadowhunters. She remained on lookout as Alec opened the weapons rack. He quickly grabbed a few daggers and handed them off to Asher before taking his infamous bow and arrows.

"Okay, let's go." Asher turned on her heels to leave the way they came when Alec stopped her. "I have to still rune the arrows." He lowered his voice to make sure no one heard him.

Asher rolled her eyes. "You can literally do that anywhere besides here." "We have until Dawn." Alec pointed out. "We might as well wait here until it's time to go." "Fine." The brunette huffed and walked away. "I'm going to go grab my belt. Just don't look too suspicious."

The female Shadowhunter quickly passed through the hallways and into her room to pick up the utility belt she usually wore during missions. When she got back, Hodge was walking in the same direction with a cup of tea in his hand.

"You moron." Asher mumbled as she saw Alec runing his arrows out in the open. Hodge went to take a sip from his mug and paused when his eyes landed on the older Lightwood. "Alec." He announced, making Alec jump and quickly put down the arrow he was holding. "Didn't know you were here."

Alec tried stuttering out a good enough response when Hodge cut him off. "Don't tell me." He slowly moved his mug around in a circle to cool it down. "I don't wanna have to report you." Alec visibly relaxed and let out a sigh. "It's just that, you know, Clary is-"

"That girl," Hodge looked down at him. "is Valentine's dau-" The circle rune on his neck seared his skin, making him clench his teeth shut in pain. He grasped onto his neck for a moment before the pain subsided. "Is that monster's daughter." Hodge changed the wording so that he could finish what he was saying. "There must be some reason why the roaches are coming out of the woodwork again, right?"

Asher listened in on the conversation, watching curiously as Hodge continued to talk to the older Lightwood. "You remind me of me, Alec." He gave him a smile. "A loyal friend standing behind the chosen one." The female Shadowhunter furrowed her brows in confusion at Hodge's statement. Why would he say something like that?

"Hey-" Hodge slapped his hand onto Alec's neck. "Don't make the same mistakes I did. Look where it got me." He gave him one last nod before retreating to where he came. Asher quickly got out from her hiding spot to meet Alec, causing the Lightwood to scramble for an arrow.

"So much for trying not to draw any attention." She hissed quietly. "Why are you runing the arrows out in the open?" "I'm hiding in plain sight." Alec replied nonchalant, continuing to rune the rest of his arrows. Asher narrowed her eyes suspiciously at the boy.

"Hey." Asher nodded her head towards him. "How come Hodge said-" "I'm done." Alec immediately cut her off. He grasped all of the arrows in one hand and the bow in the other. "Let's go." He rushed through the door they came from, not waiting for Asher to follow.

The female Shadowhunter sprinted to catch up to Alec and managed to fall in step with him just as he turned onto the street. "Wait, where are we going?" "No idea." He responded. "Izzy only sent me her location."

The brunette had a difficult time trying to keep up with Alec due to his long legs. "Hey, four-eyes." She huffed as she tried to maintain her pace so that she wouldn't get left behind. "Mind slowing down a little?" The older Lightwood continued to stare in front of him, but slowed his stride.