| 25. white hot rage

******

"DROP YOUR WEAPON."

Asher attempted to remain calm and steady her nerves as she released her seraph blade. A hand grabbed her upper arm tightly. "Well, well, well." A sinister male voice resounded from beside her ear. "What do we have here?"

Asher turned her head to see if anyone else was near to help when the man tensed and pressed the blade further against her. "Don't move." He hissed menacingly. "Unless you want to end up like the other warlocks we killed." She stilled her movements as she thought meticulously on what to do.

"My friends will be here any second." Asher muttered. She could feel the assailant smirk. "I'm quite disappointed that you would need saving, Asher Montgomery. Not quite the threat that Valentine said you were."

Asher's blood froze in her veins and a great unease settled within her. She kept her face neutral. "It seems I must be since he sent you here instead of doing the work himself." Out of the corner of her eye, she faintly saw a smirk.

"Oh trust me," The malevolent voice continued. "Valentine wants more than anything to finish you off himself." She felt a warm breath tickle her ear as he whispered, "He needs to make sure you stay dead." The air inside Asher's lungs turned thick and she found herself unable to breathe.

Valentine remembered.

The Circle member smirked at Asher's silence. "Oh, he remembers you well." He sneered, grip tightening on her arm as he turned them around. "The daughter of a Penrose and a Montgomery. Downworlder-aiding scum." A flame of anger sparked within the young Shadowhunter; her blood began to boil.

"It was almost noble of your parents to sacrifice themselves for you." The man stated, disgust evident in his tone. "Maybe it's better for them to not see who you are."

The walls seemed to close in around Asher as the voice continued taunting her. Her heartbeat began to quicken and she felt the growing fire set her face aflame. Every mention of her parents, every detail of that fateful night slowly drove her down into madness.

The voice soon faded into a soft hum as the room began to spin. Asher felt her rage slowly build within her like a darkening storm. The man laughed at the scars Valentine left her. He mocked her for not being strong enough to save her parents.

It was only until he whispered those six words in her ear did Asher finally succumb to her demons.

"Tell your parents Valentine sends his regards."

Asher swung her head back against the man's face, hitting him so hard that a satisfying crack rang in her ears. She broke free as he staggered back with one hand clutching his nose. Her head slowly inclined to the side in an unnerving silence.

The young Shadowhunter stalked forward, eyeing the Circle member like he was a mouse. His eyes widened in fear at the wild look within her eyes and swung his blade at her in a feeble attempt to protect himself, but she caught his wrist. "You want to see threatening?" She sunk her nails into his skin, squeezing so tight that he dropped his weapon. "I'll show you threatening."

Asher wrapped her free hand around his neck and hit him against the wall, causing a few artworks to fall onto the ground. "Is this scary enough for you?" She narrowed her eyes before leaning in so close that their noses brushed. "Where is Valentine?"