| 18. never the one

"How do we decide whether to trust?"

******

"SIMON!" CLARY screeched as the four Shadowhunters filed into the room where the Mundane was held hostage. "Clary." Jace quickly grabbed her arm. "That's not gonna do any good."

The same vampire that they all saw on the bridge was standing there with a blade pressed to Simon's neck. "Listen to him, Clary Fairchild." The vampire smirked devilishly. He nodded towards the seraph blade in her hand. "Put it away."

Asher watched intently as his eyes scanned around the room to see how many Shadowhunters were against him. She gripped her blade even tighter when his eyes seemed to linger on her. "Asher Montgomery." The vampire let out a laugh that was chilling to the bone. "So nice of you to join us."

"If you know my name, you clearly know what I am capable of." Asher craned her neck and narrowed her eyes dangerously. "Let him go." "I've had more than enough of your friend for one day." The vampire ignored her threat to make one of his own. "I'd love to cut his throat. Don't give me a reason."

Jace was ready to lunge forward when the vampire pressed the knife deeper into Simon's throat. "Put it away!" Asher clenched her jaw, irritated, but complied with the Downworlder's request.

"Simon." Clary took one step forward. "Simon, are you alright?"

"I wouldn't say alright-"

"Stop talking!" The vampire jerked Simon backward, making the Mundane clamp his mouth shut. Clary tensed her body up and made no sudden movements in hopes that it would keep her friend alive.

"Now," The vampire nodded to his left. "If you would all just follow me." He started walking backwards, growing angry at the fact that the Shadowhunters continued to stay in their spots. "Let's go!" They all quickly obeyed and followed the vampire to wherever he wanted to go.

They were led through run down parts of the buildings, around random corners, and up different flights of stairs like some kind of maze. "Come on, let's go!" The vampire shouted at them. "Up here now!"

Asher made her way up the stairs and through the door per his request. She kept her hands up to show that she wasn't going to try anything. "Go down there!" The vampire roughly gestured to the hallway that the door led to. "Get down there or I'll kill him right now!"

Jace held out his hand in front of Clary to make her follow the vampire's demands. "Look, we're not gonna hurt you." The redhead tried pleading with the Downworlder. "We just want Simon." "I'm glad you do. We don't." He bit back. "We wanted you."

"Well here I am." Clary lunged at the vampire only for be caught by Jace and pulled back. "Stop!" He barked at her. They couldn't afford to do anything irrational right now if they wanted to save her friend. "I said 'wanted'." The vampire hissed. "Not my idea. Now, get out! Go!"

"Wait, what?" Asher dropped her hands to her side in confusion and just stood there. Clary shook her head from behind her. "Not without Simon."

"Shut up!" The vampire screamed at them. "Open that door right now or I'll kill him right here." "Listen to him!" Jace shouted urgently, pushing Isabelle to open the door that led to the top of the Hotel Dumort.