| 09. destiny

******

ASHER HUFFED AS THE redhead strutted away to find her mundane friend, but nonetheless followed her direction in hopes of finding Alec.

Jace trailed his eyes after Asher as she walked away. A giggle resounded from behind him. "You like her." He turned around to see Isabelle standing there with her hands on her hips. Jace immediately shook his head. "There is no way that I-"

"Relax. I was only kidding." Isabelle leaned in slightly and winked. "Maybe." Jace groaned at her response and turned to the monitor. He punched in the name 'Jocelyn Fairchild', but the computer beeped and cut off his search with a large 'RESTRICTED' pop up. Jace grumbled in annoyance as he stared at the screen in hopes of finding something to clear his mind.

_______________________

Asher tossed the small bodysuit aside and crossed her arms. "No, Izzy."

"Come on." Isabelle whined as she walked over to grab it and handed it back to Asher. "It'll look cute on you!" "Isn't my crop top revealing enough?" The brunette motioned to the top she was wearing. Isabelle stood still for a moment, contemplating. She shrugged. "It's cute, but not stylish enough."

Asher groaned and flopped onto the bed while Clary slipped into the bathroom to change. Isabelle sat next to the brunette. "You will look hot-"

"My boobs will fall out while I'm fighting demons!"

"That's why it's tight." Isabelle rolled her eyes and motioned to the small covered space in the corner of her room. "Go change." Asher huffed in protest, but complied to her request, knowing that Isabelle would not let her leave without trying it on.

As Asher slipped her top off behind the dressing screen, she heard the door open and heels clicking against the floor. "This is the least revealing thing you have?"  Clary's voice echoed in the space. Isabelle chuckled. "What? All the naughty bits are covered. A little too much in my opinion."

"If you want," Asher spoke up as she slipped on a pair of leather pants. "I have some clothes-" "No." Isabelle cut her off, making the brunette grumble. She stepped out into the clearing with the other two Shadowhunters. Isabelle gasped in delight and clapped her hands. "You look hot!"

Asher raised her brow before walking up to the mirror next to Clary. The bodysuit covered the front of her upper body, stopping just slightly above her breasts. It exposed her back, with the exception of strings lacing up the sides. It hugged her body due to the skin-tight style, pushing up her breasts a little bit. Asher looked over herself, unsure. "It's-"

"Perfect." Isabelle walked behind her and squeezed her arms. "If this doesn't make him fall to you feet, then I don't know what will." Asher turned around and raised her eyebrow at her friend's feigned innocence. "Who?" "No one." The younger Lightwood shrugged her shoulders and skipped happily over to Clary. The redhead crossed her arms in front of her body. "Where's Simon?"

"Who?"

Clary widened her eyes at Isabelle's answer, which made the Shadowhunter giggle. "Kidding. He's in good hands with the boys." Isabelle picked up a pair of booties from her closet and walked over to Asher. The brunette rolled her eyes, heaving a loud groan in protest. At one look from Isabelle, she  sat down and kicked her feet up to replace her shoes with the ones held out in front of her.

"So, um-" Clary joined the two Shadowhunters by the foot of the bed. "You guys, Alec, and Jace are what? Like family?" "Translation," Isabelle plopped next to Asher. "You want to know if Jace and I are a thing." With the mention of the blonde Shadowhunter, Asher perked her head up curiously. This definitely did not go unnoticed by Isabelle. Clary made a face. "Why would I care?"

"Because you do." Isabelle stated, making Clary roll her eyes and look off to the side. "Although he currently has his eye on someone, that someone isn't me." The younger Lightwood leaned against Asher. "In every way, he's like my brother. Our parents took Jace in when he was ten. We trained together, learned to fight side by side."

"I just showed up few days ago." Asher spoke up, crossing her legs in the process. "I was transferred here from the Institute in Los Angeles to work on a mission." Clary sighed, leaning against one of the concrete pillars protruding from the floor. "A few days ago, all I had to worry about was getting into art school. And now..."

"Is this the part where I give you the pep talk about harnessing your inner Shadowhunter and accepting your true destiny?"

"Well if it was, it sucked." Asher giggled, making Isabelle scoff playfully and nudge her. Clary looked between the two of them. "How are you so close if you've only been here for a few days?" "I basically grew up in this room." Asher chuckled, remembering all of the trouble that she and the Lightwood siblings would get into back in the day. She patted Isabelle's leg before standing up. "Clary," Asher walked over to her. "Remember, you were born to do this." She brushed a finger through a strand of red hair and placed it gently against Clary's shoulder. "No matter what has happened, this is who you are."

"Not exactly feeling that." The redhead confessed sheepishly. Asher offered her a small smile. "Not yet." She stepped back and looked down at her childhood friend, offering her a hand. Isabelle gratefully grasped it and pulled herself up. "Okay, but now we just have to find Dot." Clary nodded, reassuring herself. "And track down and kill the most dangerous rogue Shadowhunter in history before he kills us all." Isabelle added.

"You really know how to ruin a pep talk."

Isabelle scoffed again at Asher's playful behavior, a large smile creeping its way onto her face. She nodded to Clary. "C'mon, let's go." As Asher neared the exit, she heard Isabelle whispering behind her.

"Oh, and Simon is kind of nerd-hot."