|21. inner peace

******

ASHER GASPED AWAKE, cold sweat falling from her forehead as her eyes darted around on high alert. When she realized where she was, a breath of relief escaped her and she fell back onto the mattress. Images of her nightmare flashed through her mind as she attempted to slow down her racing heartbeat.

Once settled, Asher swung her legs over the side of the bed and pushed herself up. Sunlight peeked through the curtains, emitting a soft glow as she walked over, her feet pattering softly against the wooden floor. The clock on the wall indicated that it was well past noon.

Asher made her way to the bathroom to splash some cold water onto her face. Looking up, she stared blankly at her reflection in the mirror. Dark circles clung beneath her eyes, evidence of the restless night. She took a deep breath, attempting to shake off the remnants of the nightmare that still lingered in her mind.

A soft series of knocks echoed through the room. Asher straightened her posture and peeked her head out, wondering who it was. The young Shadowhunter made her way over to the door and pulled it open, revealing Jace.

Asher pressed her lips into a thin line, trying not to convey her surprise. "You need something?" She glanced up at him. Jace scratched the back of his neck awkwardly. "Izzy sent me to find you. She wants to figure out what you're wearing." She had to stop herself from groaning. Of course she did. She thought to herself.

"Well," Asher cleared her throat and leaned lightly against the door frame. "Tell her I'll be there soon. I just need to get ready and do some hot yoga before I-" She paused mid sentence to Jace's raised eyebrow and small smirk. "What?"

"Yoga?"

"Yeah, and?" Asher placed a hand on her hip. "You got a problem with that?" "No, of course not." Jace responded cooly and crossed his arms, making his biceps buldge. "Just didn't realize that the greatest Shadowhunter of our generation found solace in the serenity of yoga." His smirk widened, and he added with a hint of mischief, "You should invite me to one of your yoga sessions sometime. I could use some demon hunter-approved relaxation techniques."

Asher couldn't help but roll her eyes at Jace's teasing remark. "I doubt you'd have the patience for it." "Oh yeah?" Jace leaned forward slightly, towering over her. "Try me."

Asher pursed her lips as she peered up at him, debating to herself about whether or not this was a good idea. As she prepared herself to say no, Isabelle's voice floated through her ears.

You've been through enough; you deserve some happiness.

Asher remained silent, staring up at Jace. His smug smile would have had her rejecting his offer in an instant if there wasn't a hopeful glimmer in his eyes. Like he actually wanted her to say yes.

The brunette let out a sigh, eyes rolling. "You better be prepared to eat your words, Wayland."

----------------------------------

"Dancer, right side."

Standing on her mat, Asher reached behind her to grab her right foot. She slowly arched her back and pulled her leg closer until her toes touched the back of her head. Sweat trickled down her body as she will herself to hold the position.