| 12. the silent brothers

******

THE CONNECTING CAVES stood completely silent with the exception of footsteps and water dripping off the walls.

Asher pulled out her witchlight as they were walking, a pure white glow emitting the second it came into contact with her hand. Jace copied her actions and soon enough, the darkness that loomed over them stretched backwards to reveal a few feet of corridor.

"What's that?" Clary asked, scooting closer to Jace. "It's a witchlight." He responded. "We carry it to remind us that light can be found in even the darkest of places. And it's cooler than a flashlight." The redhead giggled at his last comment.

While Jace supposedly flirted with the girl, Asher continued to explore the cave. The only thing that seemed to be inside of it was a similar stone statue of a hooded figure like the one they saw earlier. However, the one in the tunnel had wings and carried three objects in its grasp. "Is that meant to be the Mortal Cup?" Clary held the witchlight to one of the objects depicted in the statue's hands.

"Yeah." Asher answered, stopping beside Jace. Clary's eyes scanned the statue from head to toe. Her illuminated hand lowered to the sword. "What's that say?" "It's the Shadowhunter creed." Jace spoke up, smirking. "'Looking better in black than the widows of our enemies.'" "Ain't that the truth." Asher remarked, laughing lightly.

Jace looked over at the brunette and grinned. Pride swelled in his chest at the fact that he made her smile. Clary let out a breathy laugh right after. "My Latin's pretty rusty, but I'm almost positive that's not what that says." Asher leaned forward to get a better look. "'For Shadowhunters, the descent into hell is easy.'" She quoted, pointing to each word individual as she translated the text.

"Well that should be a postcard."

Asher smiled and shook her head. "You should make one and send it to me." She and Clary exchanged an amused look. The brunette followed her eyes along the sword and pointed in the direction it faced. "It's this way."

The group of three continued into the darkness until they came across another hallway already lit with torches. It stretched forward with large and rising arches on either side. The remains of skeletons filled each empty space.

"I'm sorry."

Asher turned around and stopped to look at Clary. The redhead moved towards her and stopped as well. "About what I said before about your mom. I didn't know." The brunette stiffened and opened her mouth to answer when Jace beat her too it. "It's cute. You assume we have feelings." She glared at Jace before turning back to Clary. "Ignore him, he's being an asshole like usual."

Jace scoffed from behind. "Well, I don't." He joined the girls. "Save the apologies for the mundanes. Everyone has a sad song." "What's yours?" Asher asked curiously, crossing her arms as his words from earlier replayed in her mind.

"My mother died when I was a baby. My father died when I was ten."

"I'm so sorry." Clary looked saddened by his confession. Her repeated apology resulted in Jace exhaling in annoyance through his nose. He ignored it and nodded towards Asher. "What's yours?" "My parents both died when I was ten." The brunette shrugged. Jace pursed his lips and narrowed his eyes slightly as he tried to read the female Shadowhunter. He knew that there was something else she didn't share.