| 30. personal bodyguard

**********

"I'm starting to regret moving you to New York."

Julian's voice echoed off the walls in the empty hallway as Asher sped to her room. She bit her lip at his statement. "Okay before you say anything, just know that-"

"Are you okay?"

She paused at his question, slightly taken aback. "Uh, yeah." She responded and chuckled awkwardly. "Why wouldn't I be?"

"Ash," Julian sighed out. "I know you're physically okay, but are you okay?"

Asher's stepped paused as she thought about a a response. She pressed her back against the wall and slid down. "I don't know." She mumbled truthfully into the phone. Tears pricked her eyes as she slowly let her guard fall. "I feel so lost, Jules."

"I know," Julian sighed out. "I'm sorry I'm not there to help." Asher shook her head and brought her knees close to her chest. "It's okay." She whispered, worried that her voice would give away her vulnerable state. "Your family needs you more."

"You're family too." Julian reminded her. "Speaking of family, everyone misses you." She could hear the small smile from the speaker.

Asher let out a little laugh and sniffed, finding comfort in his words. "Tell them all I miss them too." A hearty chuckle reverberated from the phone with a faint female voice saying something incoherently. "Emma says that she misses you the most."

Emma Carstairs was Julian's girlfriend: at least a decade older, but close enough in age to be the closest thing Asher had to a sibling. They met after Julian took her in. She was the one who taught Asher everything she knew.

The brunette smiled faintly. "I miss her more." Static crackled and muffled noises arose as from the other side. There was a moment of silence before Julian spoke up, this time more serious. "Alec notified the Clave about Valentine's death threats."

Asher's smile fell and she cleared her throat. "I figured." She rested her forehead against her propped up knees. "Am I going to have to come back?" There was a twinge of disappointment in her tone at the thought of leaving.

Some part of Asher did long to be back in LA with Julian and Emma, but her sense of duty made her want to stay. If not for the Lightwoods and Jace, then to help Clary.

"Honestly, I think you'll be safer there." Julian said, despite the doubt within his voice. "The New York Institute has more Shadowhunters that can protect you there." Asher raised her brow in surprise. "So I'm not being suspended?"

"Oh, you're absolutely being suspended."

Asher groaned in annoyance. "This is serious, Asher." Julian's voice switched to more authoritative. "Until Valentine is no longer a threat, you are to remain within the walls of the Institute."

The brunette clenched her jaw in anger, but made no move to protest. If Julian said his word was final, then there was nothing she could do or say to change his mind. The prolonged silence was response enough that she was not happy.

"It's for your own good, Asher." Julian tried to lessen her displeasure. "You're no good to anyone if you're dead." Asher scowled at this.