| 06. not just one

******

ONCE ASHER'S INJURY FINALLY healed, she was up and running in the training room.

Hodge ducked under the leg that went flying at his head. He swung the wooden bow staff forward, only to have it clash with another one. Asher turned and swept her leg across the floor, causing Hodge to lose his balance and fall. She brought her bow staff dangerously close to his face. "Checkmate."

Hodge rolled his eyes and held out his hand for Asher to grasp. She pulled him back up before putting away her choice of weapon. Hodge walked up behind her. "There are other things to do in this Institute than training, you know."

"I'm out of practice." Asher told him, taking a gulp of water. Hodge rolled his eyes. "Yeah." He replied sarcastically. "I can definitely see that." The brunette stuck out her tongue in response.

Asher went back to her room to shower before checking up on the girl still unconscious. As she walked past the common room, she noticed Alec on one of the computers. "Hey." She walked over to him. "Any luck on finding her identity yet?" "Almost." The older Lightwood scanned his eyes over the monitor as his fingers danced across the keyboard at an abnormally fast pace.

"Did you check to see if she had an ID?"

Alec's fingers stopped and he looked up at his friend in surprise. Asher chuckled, slinging her towel over her shoulder. "I guess not." She patted his shoulder blade before continuing the trek towards her room.

The mahogany door opened to a room very different from what Asher had back in the LA institute. The design of her new room was more Gothic. It had a higher ceiling with tiled stone walls. Two lights suspended from the top, surrounded by smaller lights built into the ceiling. A king-sized bed sat in the center against the wall farthest from the door with two black-shaded lamps on either side.

Asher's feet padded along the wooden floor to toss her things onto the red velvet couch next to the bathroom. She took a quick shower and changed into some black attire that fitted with the Shadowhunter dress code.

Her eyes travelled up and down her body in the mirror. A black cropped tank hugged her upper body, exposing her stomach slightly, and paired with ripped skinny jeans. The small hint of a scar peaked underneath her runes along her stomach, but Asher wasn't as self conscious about it as she used to be. People stopped asking about it after they found out the story. She wasn't surprised, word travels fast in the Shadowhunter world: faster if you're well-known.

Asher quickly fixed her makeup before tossing a large black hoodie over head and leaving the room. The brunette took her time walking through the hallways, her black converse slightly scuffing against the floor as she made her way to the infirmary.

Asher walked through the doorway to realize that the mundane was already awake in front of Isabelle. "Wow, thanks for telling me she woke up." The brunette rolled her eyes. Isabelle shrugged. "Jace and Alec were supposed-" She paused, eyes trailing down Asher's body. "What are you wearing?" Asher raised her eyebrow and looked down at her appearance. Isabelle walked over and pinched at her hoodie. "This isn't practical-"