| 24. the lair

******

THE NIGHTTIME BREEZE brushed Asher's face delicately as she stepped out of the club.

Tension clung heavily to the air from the failed attempt to regain Clary's memories. Said redhead was the last to leave, her steps slow and unsteady. Her eyes were distant as the failed mission weighed heavily in her mind.

Asher glanced back at the distraught girl as Isabelle called out Jace's name. The blond Shadowhunter was already a few feet ahead, trying to get out of there as quickly as possible before more of Valentine's men show up.

Jace turned back around to see Clary standing by the doorway. "Clary, we have to move." "I'm catching my breath." She snapped in response. Isabelle moved to wrap an arm around her for support.

"You know what? This is great." Alec stated sarcastically, dropping his arms to his side. "And not only did Magnus not get the girl her memories back, he took the necklace. This is fantastic-"

"Alec, the girl-" Jace gritted out. "Her name is Clary and I highly suggest you keep your voice down." "Why?" Alec questioned, raising his voice. He stepped towards him. "What, are you afraid I'm gonna upset her?"

"Alec," Asher spoke up in an attempt to calm him down, but he continued. "We have risked our lives again and again for this girl and where has it gotten us? Nowhere." He seethed. "We're no closer to getting the Mortal Cup, and we've lost the Institute's necklace."

"Hey!" Clary snapped. "I am right here." Alec rolled his eyes before glancing sideways at the redhead. "I don't care about your damn jewelry." She spat, leaving Isabelle's side to stand right in front of Alec. "I'm sorry you're gonna look bad in front of your bosses, okay? But my mother is still missing, and my last chance at finding her just disappeared into thin air!"

"Clary," Jace breathed out in an attempt to hold in his annoyance. "It's gonna be fine." "No, it's not!" Her head snapped to him. "People are dying because of me." Clary said. "And Magnus? Magnus will never come out of hiding again while Valentine is still after him." She let out an exasperated laugh. "We're never gonna find him. And I will- I will never get my memories back!"

Asher quickly stuck out her hand as Clary attempted to throw something onto the ground in frustration. She looked down to find a small silver button at the center of her palm.  "You guys give up too easily." Asher shook her head and withdrew from the group to focus.

Clary continued to stare at her as she walked away, confusion etched onto her face. "What is she doing?" "She's tracking Magnus." Alec responded curtly. "Be quiet and keep your distance." "The button belonged to Magnus." Isabelle explained. "Asher can pinpoint the location using that."

Pulling out her stele, Asher drew the True North rune on her left palm before enclosing it tightly around the button. She took a deep breath and closed her eyes. Her hand glowed as the rune activated, but the images in her mind were too blurry to make out.

"No." Asher sighed in frustration, turning around.  "The signal's not strong enough. Magnus must be blocking the track." She sent a cheeky smile to the two arguing Parabati. "I could use some help."

Jace pressed his lips together, but nonetheless reached and took the button from Asher's hand. She moved back to offer some space as Alec moved into place. "Let's do this, Alec." Jace murmured and clasped his hand tightly.

"Do what?" Clary asked.

"Parabati Tracking."

"Of course they are." Clary muttered. Asher smirked lightly. "When Parabatis track, their power grows stronger. They're gonna track Magnus together." Jace and Alec stared into each other's eyes as a white light glowed from their clasped hands.

"This whole Parabati thing seems oddly intimate, if you ask me." Clary commented. Isabelle sighed. "You don't know the half of it."

After about a minute, Jace released his hold on Alec. "Got him." He wasted no time in leading the way.

Jace brought them all to a seemingly abandoned building in the meat district. Asher cautiously entered, seraph blade out and ready. Billboards and pipes were scattered around the open space. 

"Magnus' lair is right behind that fence." Jace pointed to the far side of the room. Clary looked around. "Magnus lives in a Warehouse?"

"Not exactly." Asher's eyes scanned the area for any threats. "Warlock glamour." She took a step forward when Isabelle raised her hand to stop her from going any further. "Something's wrong." She stated. "It's far too easy to get this close."

"His protective wards must be down." Asher concluded.

Alec glanced down at Clary. "You." He eyed her. "Don't get in the way."

A burly man appeared at the front of the fence, holding onto the coat of a warlock. He raised his seraph blade before sinking it into the warlock's back and throwing him off of the ledge.

"Oh, god." Clary cried as the others rushed forward. "Valentine found Magnus!"

The group split as they attempted to find a way to get to the gate. Asher and Jace veered right, weaving through block palettes and half-painted boards. They reached a nondescript door tucked away in the back. Asher pushed it open to reveal a dimly lit hallway.

The air felt heavy with anticipation as they navigated through the narrow passage, the sound of their footsteps echoing faintly. Asher darted her eyes around every crevice and corner for anything that may be lurking in the shadows.

The first turn left revealed a set of stairs. Without exchanging any words, the pair ascended to the upper level.

"Clary Fairchild." A low voice reverberated as Asher emerged behind the fence. She glanced sideways at Jace before creeping towards the edge. Clary had her arm out in front of a child as the same man from earlier approached. "Valentine will be so pleased to meet you."

Isabelle appeared from behind and lashed out her whip, wrapping it around the man's hand. With him distracted, Jace grabbed a hidden dagger and flung it down, sinking it into the back of his neck.

Asher's sharp eyes spotted another set of doors nearby that blended with the environment, almost like they were meant to not be noticed. She pressed forward, not bothering to wait for Jace. Asher kicked them open, eyes stretching across a storage room littered with cardboard boxes.

The moment she stepped through, the glamour that had concealed the room vanished, revealing a lavishly decorated hallway. A velvet red carpet stretched beneath her feet, extending to either end. The brick walls framing the space held up vintage lamps that casted a warm glow throughout, illuminating the framed artworks scattered among them.

Two men stood within, both brandishing a Circle on the side of their necks. Spotting Asher, they unsheathed their weapons. Her instincts kicked in as the first opponent lunged at her.

Asher ducked as a seraph blade swung above her and twirled to the right, landing a punch to the side of the person's face. As the second attacker came up from behind, she side stepped out of the way and kicked him hard in the abdomen.

The man staggered backwards, out of breath, while the other continued his attack. Asher raised her seraph blade and hit it hard against his own. She clenched her teeth, trying to push it away from her.

Asher managed to swing both blades to the right before flicking out a dagger and slashing it across his neck. She barely had time to check her behind her for the other person when a glowing blade pressed against her neck.