| 15. monster hunting

******

"WHERE IS HE anyway, some kind of crypt in Transylvania?"

Clary stopped next to a wooden table, eyes searching for answers in the faces of the three Shadowhunters. Jace leaned against one of the leather chairs. "Actually, no. That was Camille's outfit, right?" He looked at Alec for confirmation before turning to Clary. "They're locals." "They're at the Hotel Dumort down in Gansevoort street." Isabelle confirmed.

"Yeah."

"And we came back here?!" Clary questioned them, exasperated. "Why? We have to go there! Let's go, now! Come on!" She turned to leave when a voice stopped her.

"We need a Clave resolution for that."

Asher walked up to the small platform that held the conference table in the Ops Room. The crop top she wore earlier was in place of the bodysuit and her signature leather jacket wrapped around her shoulders. She gave them all a greeting smile as her Doc Martens halted next to Isabelle's stiletto boots.

Clary seemed relieved to see Asher, but her reddened complexion showed that she was still annoyed that they haven't done anything to find her best friend.

"The five of us can't declare war on the vamp all by ourselves." Isabelle agreed and glanced up at Asher from her seat on the corner of the table. The brunette smiled down at Isabelle, washing away some of the worry that she had for her.

"And we can't react without considering our options." Alec added. "Downworlders are slaves to their impulses. We're not." He shot Asher a questionable look, Asher quickly understanding who he was inquiring about. She gave him a small nod to indicate that she was okay. Isabelle playfully cocked her head at her brother. "Alec, you can't just jump on all the Downworlders."

"Oh, that's right." Alec gave his sister a knowing smirk. "Seelies have their charms, apparently." "Right." Jace grinned. He looked over at Asher, his grin turning into a soft reassuring smile.

"Seelies?"

"Like faeries." Jace explained. "The Fair Folk. Add pixies, nixies, elves...anybody half-angel, half-demon. It's pretty much a catch-all term."

"Izzy can tell you all about them." Alec raised his eyebrows playfully. "She's got a thing." "We've all got our things don't we?" Isabelle tossed back. Asher nudged her old playmate. "You're telling me everything later." Isabelle gave Asher a knowing look and then whispered. "Girls' night."

"Okay, I can't listen to this." Clary impatiently walked around the table and then headed to the door. "Simon's been kidnapped by vampires. I guess I'll just take care of it myself." "Clary." Jace called out her name, but she continued to walk towards the door. He looked over at Asher with pleading eyes.

"Clary," Asher called out this time, making her stop in her tracks at the sounds of a different voice. "You're going to get yourself killed, Simon too." She walked around Alec towards the girl. "I know you want to save your best friend, but if you go in there with no training, no plan, and no backup, you're pretty much handing them their dinner on a silver platter."

Clary turned around, eyes begging for help. "Then, help me." She pleaded. "While we consider other options, my best friend is suffering. Is that something Shadowhunters understand or am I just being a mundane?" Asher watched as the redhead sighed after letting her frustration out.