| 27. how to summon a demon

******

ASHER LOUNGED ON Magnus' couch as she ran a finger down her stele, waiting patiently for Clary to finish the pentagram for the summoning.

The stele belonged to a far ancestor of the Penrose family, its small scratches and worn edges holding victories that spanned generations. The adamas core was surrounded by white marble lined with serrations of gold. Carved runes lined each flat side, starting from the hilt and moving up to a jagged crystal on the other end.

Unlike the pure crystals that other steles possess, Asher's was inlaid with shards of black tourmaline. It was an extra precaution placed by her mother to ward off any negative energies and to only receive the purest energy when constructing runes.

Asher brought her stele up to the top of her head and cascaded it down, de-glamouring her hair from sleek black to its original brown color.

Magnus glanced back at Clary before rising to his feet. "She should be finished." He announced. "Follow me." Asher slowly rose up and fell in step beside Isabelle as they all followed Magnus to the summoning room.

"Jocelyn was right," Magnus mused as he entered. "Your artistry is beyond compare."

"Oh, I don't know about that." Clary stood up and brushed any leftover chalk from her hands. Asher's eyes caught sight of the summoning rune on her upper arm before looking down at the intricate pentagram on the floor. She marveled at the intricate details that ran along the concrete floor. Pale hues of yellow and green swirled throughout the demonic circle and through the six corners-

Wait, six corners?

"Oh," The warlock waved Clary off. "The only other person I've known who could draw as well was Michaelangelo." He leaned froward to look at Alec on the other side. "Who was excellent in bed, I might add." Jace glanced at his Parabatai, who responded with the same puzzled look.

"Okay, we're ready." Magnus rolled up his sleeves and walked around Clary's drawing.  "Everyone take your rightful place on the pentagram."

Asher furrowed her brows and looked up at Magnus. "If this is supposed to be a pentagram, why are there six corners?" "Six corners, six people." The warlock pointed to everyone in the room. "Five is the minimum a demon will allow, but more people is highly encouraged."

"Oh, great." Asher mumbled sarcastically. Taking a deep breath, she made her way to the opposite corner of Magnus and stood there, next to Alec and Jace.

Clary, confused, looked to Jace for assistance. "Here." He grabbed her hand and gently moved her to one of the corners. "Thanks." She smiled at him, her doe eyes glimmering.

As Clary smiled at Jace, a sensation similar to burning flames spread through Asher's chest, catching her off guard.

"We must initiate a bond." Magnus declared. "Once this bond is sealed, it cannot be broken until the demon retreats." His face turned stoic. "No matter what happens, we must not let go of each other's hands."

The warlock looked to Alec and held out his hand. The Shadowhunter stared at it warily before slowly lowering his own to Magnus. He flinched once they made contact.

The older Lightwood turned his head to Asher and held out his hand, like Magnus did moments before. As soon as Asher grabbed it, a burst of magic flowed through her body. Whispers of a language she did not understand flowed through her ears.