| 02. unexpected visit

"expect the unexpected."

******

ASHER GROWLED in annoyance as she walked towards the night club, her black stiletto booties clicking against the cobblestone path.

The young Shadowhunter was immediately dispatched to go look for the ravener demon, giving her barely any time to get situated in her new home for who knows how long. The situation added to her already pissy mood.

Asher tugged at the fingerless leather gloves concealing her hands, thinking about her last conversation with Julian. Why did she have to travel to Manhattan to interrogate one lesser demon about mundane blood? She mumbled words about her thoughts on Julian's task as well as the Shadowhunters in the New York Institute. I mean, aren't there other Shadowhunters who could do this docile task instead? She thought to herself.

Asher twirled her new platinum blonde hair in between her fingers. She found a new glamour that her mother created whilst looking through one of her old books. After all, demons loved blondes.

Asher walked confidently to the entrance of the Pandemonium once she caught sight of her target shapeshifting into a woman with a tight purple dress. The Shadowhunter followed after the Downworlder discreetly, unaware of the other three people doing the same.

The smell of sweat and alcohol filled Asher's nostrils as she weaved through the dancing bodies, curls bouncing with every step. The warehouse-like building vibrated with music whilst the colorful strobe lights beamed in every direction possible. Her fishnet leggings and tight blue lace dress blended perfectly into the crowd.

Asher kept her gaze fixated on the demon. She followed its every move and watched as it stopped in front of two body guards standing on look out near the bar. The ravener passed one of them a red-tinted glass jar in exchange for a blue velvet pouch.

Curiously, Asher wondered about the sole purpose of this mission as she observed the small exchange. Maryse couldn't have possibly asked her to just get information and take down the target. There had to have been something more.

Her eyes lingered on the same two bodyguards as she walked by. A man walked up to them and turned his head, eyes locking gazes with Asher. She felt this strong aura around him, knowing exactly who, or what, this person was. The Shadowhunter gave him a wink before turning back around to continue her mission; she was not going to let a warlock get the best of her.

The demon led Asher to a secluded room on the other side of the club; a green curtain covered half of the entrance. Asher smirked at the guards and gave them a flirtatious wave before walking inside, charming them to draw the curtains behind her for some privacy.

Asher subtly scanned the lounge, counting the demons occupying the space with her. There were far more than what she dealt with before, but that only made her smile.

She liked a challenge.

Asher made a move towards the demon on the far side of the lounge when an arm wrapped itself around her waist. It pulled her back against a well-toned chest as a pair of lips touched the shell of her ear. "I hear you've been peddling mundane blood." She felt her chest flutter at the small interaction. Stupid human emotions.