| 10. 'little girl'

******

ASHER WALKED SIDE BY side with Alec as they left the conference room from confiding in the Clave about their current situation.

"Despite what the Clave says, Jace isn't going to let up." The brunette rounded a corner into another hallway, rereading the text that Isabelle sent her about the mission. Alec grumbled beside her in annoyance. "This is breaking so many rules." The two made their way to the group standing by one of the weapons rack.

"I don't approve of this mission." Alec announced as he stopped in front of them. Jace turned around and froze, his eyes traveling down Asher's body. A smirk made its way to his face. "Well this is a pleasant surprise. Dressing to impress, Montgomery?" "If you're done treating women like objects, we have news." Asher changed her attention to the rest of the group. "We've spoken to the Clave."

Jace drowned out Alex's voice as he described specifics from the meeting to give Asher a curious glance. In his mind, he couldn't figure out the mystery that was Asher Montgomery. Jace felt confused at how intrigued he was. A small voice in his head suggested that Isabelle may be on to something. But if there's one thing that was certain, it was that Jace hated being wrong. His stubbornness proved that.

"They're sending Seelie scouts to search for Valentine," Alec informed them. "But they made it clear the little girl does not leave the premises." "Hey, my name is not 'little girl', okay?" Clary glared up at Alec. "I don't care what that Clave thing or you want, I'm going to find Dot."

"Alec," Jace tried reasoning with his Parabatai. "This warlock could have the answers we need. With Valentine's people out there searching for Clary, she's not safe outside alone." "Jace has a point." Isabelle agreed, looking at her brother

"Et tu, Izzy?" Alec glared at his sister, making her guiltily look down at the floor. He dropped his arms to his side and turned to Asher. "Ash, you were there with me. You heard their orders." The female shadowhunter bit her lip and glanced at Clary whilst deep in thought. She ran a hand through her long curls. "I hate to admit it, but Jace is right on this one." "Seriously?" Alec spat angrily. "Does no one here have some sense in them?"

"Alec, this is more than just finding Clary's mother." Asher motioned to the redhead in the corner. "If Valentine is at large, we have to figure out what he's up to before anyone else gets hurt. We don't need anymore bloodshed at the hand of this monster."

Alec gave his friend a look and grumbled in protest. However, he knew that she was right. "Alright." Alec cocked his head towards Clary. "Since you have all the answers, where do you suggest we search?"

"We should start at Dot's apartment in Greenpoint." Clary stated. Her hand came up to fiddle with the purple stone around her neck. "And there's this thrift store that she-" A gasp left her lips and her eyes grew wide, as if staring off at something in the distance. Asher followed her gaze, but nothing in that direction looked strange enough to elicit such a strong reaction. A soft glow resided in the stone for a few seconds before burning out completely.

Asher uncrossed her arms and stepped forward, concerned. "What's wrong?" "I, um..." Clary exhaled and blinked her eyes a few times. "Weirdly, I think I know where Dot is."

"Great! I'll drive."

All of their heads turned to Simon, who was grinning widely with a set of car keys in the palm of his hand. "What?" Simon asked defensively. "Unless, you have, like, a Shadowhunter-mobile or something." Isabelle chuckled at his response. Simon's grin disappeared and he looked down at the floor. "You were kidding about the runes on the floor killing me, right?"