77

POV: BAYLIN GRIGGS

On Monday, I stopped by the station and handed in Zayn's phone as well as Liam's backpack to Officer Hill. He explained to me that he isn't qualified to do the duties that Alice was doing, nor is he allowed since he isn't exactly signed to this case directly. And since there's no proof of a crime being committed they can't get more cops to do anything about it— meaning they can't arrest Liam on the spot.

I didn't hear from Liam that day, as expected. But I also didn't hear from Alice.

After a restless night of replaying every minute of my friendship with Liam in my head, Alice finally contacted me at around nine in the morning on Tuesday. She called to tell me she had been up all night making a 'blueprint' which I didn't quite understand, and when she sent me a picture of about four different papers with shitty handwriting and scribbles, I still couldn't understand what everything meant. She explained that it was the leads and outlines for the reason why, or why not, Liam could be doing this.

After our phone call, I spent the entire day on my own and in my room. Niall had practice around eleven, and was gone for quite awhile after that.

The house felt quiet and I felt unsafe on my own, so I didn't move from my room— which has sort of become an unhealthy security blanket for me.

Niall is a busy guy, he can't just stop the things he has to do just to make me feel more comfortable. So when he's out, I either go with him, or stay in my room. In my room, I feel safe. If the windows are shut and the blinds are closed, then there's no possible way for anyone to be watching me.

I guess you could say I've become a little skittish. Niall knows to text me first before coming home so that I know it's him when I hear the twist of keys in the front door. Or when he's not home, he puts on the alarm notifications to ensure my safety.

It's not that I've become opposed to the idea of going outside, nor do I fear it— but in my head, if I'm in here, I can't have secret pictures taken of me from afar.

This may all sound very dramatic, but with Alice not here, Harry not at my side at all times, and a killer out there who may or may not be my best friend— I think staying in my room is a reasonable priority.

Yet another terrified night of little to no sleep passes, the day I feared came quicker than I could ever fucking imagine.

It's now Wednesday— the day Liam is supposed to be back from his trip.

I woke up at five AM and spent every waking minute staring at my phone, awaiting a call or text to flash with Liam's name. I can practically feel the ghosting feeling of my heart sinking to my toes already.

I have no fucking clue how I'm going to speak to him after knowing what I know. Alice said to 'play dumb' which means to act normal in my book, but I cant act normal when there a chance that he could be this crazy pchyco stalker that ruined my life.

I don't think my hands stopped shaking once, and the only time I stopped sweating was when I forced myself to take a break from the staring contest with my phone screen and took a shower.

By ten, Niall woke up. He was drowsy and tired, came slugging into my room— already knowing that I was awake.

"Have you been up all night? Again?" He mumbles, slightly whispering in the habit of the morning.

"Kind of. I could barely sleep." I answer while folding the laundry I'm using to distract myself. "I was too nervous, surprisingly I got about an hour."

"Jesus christ." He mumbles, yawning and collapsing on my bed, "That's not healthy."

I don't reply, not wanting to get on the topic of how much sleep I do or don't need.