5. Caught

After a 20 minute walk, I arrive at the Cameron residence. Walking here was the easy part, getting through the gates is the next issue. Hopefully the security guard remembers me from when I was here with Sarah yesterday. 

When I approach the small, brick room, the gorgeous looking European man slides the tinted window open. "Hello, what can I do for you?"

Marry me? Give me gorgeous olive skinned children with the sharpest cheek bones in existence?

"Is Sarah home?"

He picks up the phone and holds it to his ear. After a minute or so, he places the phone back down and looks at me apologetically. "There was no answer ma'am."

I pull my phone out of my back pocket and text Sarah.

Scarlett: Hey, I'm outside your house. Come and get me please.

Just as I hit send, Sarah calls out from the balcony. "Matteo, she's fine. Let her in." 

Matteo sends a brief nod in my direction before pressing the button to open the large security gates.

"Thank you." I raise my hand to wave at him and slip through the gates. Sarah is waiting at the front door for me by the time I reach the house. "Your house is beautiful by the way."

She glances around at the interior. "Yeah, I guess it's pretty sweet."

Matteo closed the security gates behind me, but I turn around to look at them when I see them opening back up again. "That's probably Maria back from doing the groceries. Come on, I need to have a shower." She pulls me into the house and closes the door behind me. She leads me down the hall where Rafe walked through the other day and it leads to a living room.

Contrasting to antique looking entry, the living room is quite modernised. There's a large flat screen on the wall with cream carpet on the floor. There's grey rockery on the wall behind the tv. The long L shaped lounge is also a cream colour. It's a homely environment. 

"I'm just going to take a quick shower and get ready." Sarah picks up the television remote from the lounge and holds it out to me. "You can watch whatever you want on tv. Also help yourself to the fridge if you're hungry. Maria will be in with the groceries, she will probably offer you some breakfast." She smiles at me. "Make yourself at home."

"Thanks." I take the remote from her hands and stare down at it. JJ doesn't have a tv at home, so I'm going to take advantage of this huge flat screen tv. "Is anyone else home?" I ask her, wondering if I am going to see Rafe or Wheezie around the house while she's in the shower.

"Wheezie is at the neighbours because she's obsessed with their kid and Rafe didn't come home last night, so it's just you, me and now Maria." 

"Did Wheezie forgive you?"

"She's giving me the silent treatment, but she asked me for a lift home so she can't be too mad at me. I'm hoping she will be over it by the end of the the day."

I sit down on the lounge and turn on the tv. I flick through the channels and opt for a David Attenborough documentary. While watching the documentary about sea animals, I find myself wanting to explore more of the house. I feel bad for snooping, but Sarah wouldn't mind. She did say to make myself at home. I've never been in a house this beautiful before. Plus, Maria might need a hand unpacking the groceries.

I exit the lounge room and walk back to the front door area. Upon entry, Sarah lead me to the right hand side of the house but this time I turn left. This leads me to the kitchen and I expect to see Maria, but instead the kitchen is empty. There's a long white marble island in the middle of the kitchen with four neutral coloured bar stools around the perimeter. The splashback is a glass mirror and I can see my reflection in it. I run my fingers through my tangled hair. The wind was pretty crazy during my walk here.