10. Lighthouse

"Miss Maybank, nice to see you again. Sarah's not home right now." Matteo, the guard at the front gate says to me. Matteo is about ten years older than me, but boy is he gorgeous. He has the most perfect cheek bones and beautiful plump lips. He has straight eyebrows and dark brown eyes. His eyes are so kind. He doesn't look intimidating at all for a security guard. 

He has a sexy Italian accent too. 

"I was actually looking for Rafe."

He smiles at me before picking up his phone. "Please give me a second."

I wait on my bike for Matteo to make the phone call to Rafe. I wonder what Rafe is doing. Probably being proactive

"Mr Cameron, you have a guest here to see you ... Miss Maybank ... I let her in? ... Okay Mr Cameron." Matteo places his phone down on the table in front of him before turning to look at me. "Go ahead ma'am." 

"Thanks Matteo."

Matteo presses the button to open the gates and I wait for them to open halfway before driving in. I park my bike before the front steps and place the keys in my back pocket before climbing up the stairs. I ring the doorbell and wait for Rafe to come to the door. 

After waiting nearly two minutes, I ring the bell again. He knows that I'm here, Matteo informed him. I reach for the doorbell to ring it a third time, but Rafe appears behind the glass door. He opens it partially, resting his arm on the doorframe while staring down at me. He has a cigarette burning between his fingers. 

"What do you want?" 

"It's lovely to see you too Rafe. I'm doing great, how about you?"

"You're doing great, are you?" He nods his head towards me and points to the side of my face. "You don't look like it. That thing looks worse than it did before." He brings his cigarette up to his mouth and inhaling it for a few seconds.

He lets out a puff of air and the smoke from his cigarette flies straight into my face.

I wave my hand in front of my face, shooing away the smoke. "Smoking is bad for you, you know? It's super toxic."

He taps his fingers against the wooden frame, appearing quite unbothered by my sudden arrival. "So am I. Yet here you are, at my doorstep." He stares at me amusingly. "I know you're not here for Sarah because I heard her tell Wheezie she is heading to JJ's."

He's got a point. 

Rafe lets out an impatient sounding sigh. "What are you doing here Scarlett?"

I take a step forwards and tap my hand against his chest a couple of times. "To hang out with you, silly." I push the door open and invite myself into the house. Rafe steps to the side and watches me walk down the hallway. 

"Whatever, you can stay. Go hang out with Wheezie. I don't fucking care. Just leave me alone, I'm busy."

He closes the door and walks upstairs. But I didn't come here to spend time with Wheezie, Rafe. I came to annoy you. 

I follow him up the stairs, but he continues ignoring me. I see him slip into one of the back rooms and of course, I follow him there. When I reach the doorway, the large mahogany coloured wooden door slams shut in my face. 

He is so polite. 

I twist the gold doorknob and thankfully it isn't locked from the inside. When I push the door open, I see Rafe sitting in front of a desk that resembles the same colour and material as the door. He looks to be reading some sort of big ancient book. He doesn't look to be very interested in the text.