31. Run away

I place my knuckles against the white oak door, giving it three swift taps. Then I roll my eyes as I see the doorbell to the left of me. I forgot these rich people have doorbells. In the cut, the locks on our doors barely work. Most of the time we just walk right into the house. 

Miranda opens the door with a puzzled expression on her face. If she wasn't so heavily injected with botox, I think I would see a frown. "Scarlett, I wasn't expecting you." She continues standing in the doorway and pushes her hair back off of her face. Something isn't right, I can feel the tension. Usually she would have opened the door to me and invited me in by now. 

"I'm really sorry that I have been MIA for the last few days."

"Where were you? You didn't call or return my texts. I went behind my husbands back and kept the truth from him that you were a Pogue. I gave you this job when I could have hired someone with real qualifications. I thought you genuinely cared for Emily and I thought I could rely on you Scarlett."

I glance down at the ground, feeling disappointed that this opportunity has been taken away from me. I didn't choose to get kidnapped, but I can't tell her the truth because she definitely wouldn't let me near Emily if she knew I was in danger. 

"I really am sorry. I had a family emergency and my phone has gone missing. That's why I didn't call you before showing up. I know I am asking for a lot here, but I really do care about Emily and I am so grateful for this job opportunity. I would like a second chance Miranda. I promise that I won't go MIA again."

She stares straight through me while contemplating her decision. "I need reliability. You're a kid, you can barely take care of yourself. I don't know why I gave you the job in the first place."

Ouch. 

With a small nod, I slowly take a step backwards. "Once again, I'm sorry Miranda. Please give Emily a hug from me."

She forces a smile onto her face and gives me a gentle nod before stepping inside and closing the door. With a heavy sigh escaping my lips, I walk towards the security gates. There's no way security will ever let me through these gates again. I'm upset because I really felt a connection with Emily. 

With my head down, facing the concrete road, I hear two loud horns sounding from a nearby vehicle. When I look up, I see a black Range Rover. The front window slowly rolls down, revealing Rafe with his signature middle-part and black ray-bans. 

Where are you off to Maybank?"

Already feeling low enough, I keep my head down to avoid being insulted for a second time in the last five minutes. 

"You're mad at me? Seriously?"

"Leave me alone, Cameron."

"Funny, you didn't seem to want me to leave you alone last night."

This makes my head snap up in his direction. I see a small smirk playing on his lips. "Don't you have some dealer friends to go yell at and get high with?"

He chuckles. "I'd rather hang out with you."

"I'll pass." I respond and continue walking away from his car. 

"You can walk away from me, but you can't walk away from how you feel about me."

I stop walking and turn around to face his car. "I don't want anything to do with you when you would rather spend your life getting high."

"I didn't get high last night if that's what you're wondering."

"What?"

"When you got all bitchy and told me that you didn't care if I got high, you got me thinking."