18. Boat

While standing at the counter, I unzip my wallet and rummage through the notes compartment for some cash. I smile contently to myself, proud that I am paying for these groceries with my own money. Just from working 3 shifts this week, I was able to pay back JJ the money I owed him and pay for this weeks groceries. 

I've got a roof over my head, a secure job and surrounded by good people. I finally feel as though I'm settling in. Back in the place I used to call home. 

"That'll be $37.95." The cashier behind the register says to me while staring down at my wallet. I pull out $40 worth of notes and hand it to her. "Would you like to purchase a helping hand for $1? It goes to the Save The Children charity."

I nod my head at her. "Yeah, sure." She types on her computer screen and then looks at me. "That'll be $38.95." She tells me my new total while putting my notes into the register and collecting my change. I pop the change into my wallet and load the bags of groceries into my cart. "Enjoy your day."

"Thanks, you too." I smile at her before pushing my cart out of the store. I reach for my phone in my back pocket, ready to call Pope to see when he will be getting here because he said he will give me a lift home. That's when someone energetically runs up from behind me while breathing heavily.

"Hey Scarlett." Topper says to me while jogging up and down on the spot. "How are you?"

"Hi, I'm good." I take a glance down at his attire. He is wearing a white tank top with dark grey shorts and white shoes. He has beds of sweat on his forehead and above his lip from his morning jog. "How's the run?"

"Yeah, it's okay. Look, I won't keep you but I wanted to ask you something." He stops jogging and rests his hand on my cart, taking a look at my groceries before looking back at me. 

"Go ahead, ask away." 

"Does Sarah ever talk about me?"

My head involuntarily shoots backwards as I am thrown back by his question. I was expecting him to ask me about a different Cameron. "She doesn't."

Topper glances down at the ground, nodding his head in disappointment. When he looks back up at me, I can see the pain in his eyes. I don't know how he still has hope when her and John B are stronger than ever. They have been for almost two years now. 

"Do you think she still loves me?"

I let out a sigh, placing my hand on his shoulder. "Look Topper, I think you should move on. What you and Sarah had is in the past now. She is happy with John B and I know that she would want you to be happy with someone else too. I know that it sucks for now, but the sooner you move on, the happier you'll be." I remove my hand and place it back on the cart. 

Topper forces a smile on his face. "Do you really believe that?"

"I do."

"I'll see you around, Scarlett." He says to me before jogging off in the opposite direction. I pull out my phone and call Pope. 

*

"The food has arrived." JJ says while hovering over the table. He peaks through one of the bags and his eyes widen as he looks up at me. "Did you get premium turkey?"

I nod my head. "Sure did."

"Oh my god, she got premium turkey." He pulls the turkey out of the bag and shows Pope. Pope laughs at JJ while he reaches into another bag and continues packing the vegetables into the fridge. 

"Since I'm working now, we don't have to get the cheap stuff anymore. We deserve to have some more branded stuff."

"You brought the reduced priced apples though." Pope says to me, pointing to the half-priced apples on the table.