12. Job Interview

"I like this. I think it'll be good enough." I say while staring at myself in the full length mirror of the dressing room. I pull open the curtain so that Wheezie can see the outfit on me. I am wearing a purple and white floral dress. It's not my usual attire, but it is the cheapest thing I could find in this store.

She immediately shakes her head. "Nope, not that." Wheezie leaves me standing in the dressing room and returns a couple of minutes later with an oversized orange blazer and a black turtle neck knit dress.

"That looks like a halloween costume."

"Just try it on." Wheezie says impatiently before closing the curtains and I undress from my current outfit. When I put on the outfit, it looks surprisingly better than I imagined. I feel like I am dressed as a pumpkin on Halloween, but it looks like one of those classy outfits that models wear in the magazines. I open the curtains to show Wheezie the outfit.

Wheezie's jaw drops and she clasps her hands together in front of her

Wheezie's jaw drops and she clasps her hands together in front of her. "That's it. That's the one."

I reach into my pocket and pull out the price tag. My eyes almost burst from their sockets when I read the digits on the tag. "I cannot afford this."

"Good thing Ward has it covered."

I eye her suspiciously. "What?"

Wheezie pulls out a credit card from behind her phone case. "My Dad-" she whispers his name while looking around the store to make sure that nobody is nearby. When the coast is clear, she continues speaking to me in a hushed tone. "My Dad is dead. So obviously all of his accounts and credit cards have been frozen."

A customer passes by us and Wheezie waits for her to pass before continuing with her story.

"In his will, he left the house and his business to us 3 kids. Seeing as though he is alive and is need of his money, before he died he switched over all of his bank accounts into my name. Obviously he wouldn't give it to Rose, Rafe or Sarah because they are older." She holds up the credit card. "He left it to Wheezie, the young minor. And since I misplaced one of my cards, I simply called the bank to send me out a new one. Now Ward pays for everything."

"He hasn't caught onto it? I'm sure he checks his accounts."

"What's he going to do, cut me off? Who else's name would he put his entire life savings into?"

She is such a smart kid.

"Well Ward has caused my friends a lot of grief, so I'll let him shout me this outfit."

Wheezie laughs at me before pushing me back into the dressing room to change out of my clothes.

"You can borrow a pair of Sarah's shoes because your worn out converse aren't going to make the cut."

*

I step inside the gorgeous home and the scent of vanilla candles immediately fills my nose. I look to my right and see two diffusers and a lit 3-wick candle on the small table upon the entry. There are white gloss tiles, white walls and white ceilings. Everywhere is white and extremely bright.