3. Five Questions

I scoop a spoonful of cereal into my mouth and watch as JJ does the same from across from me at the table. "I really like what you've done with the place." I say, breaking the silence. "You know, it looks completely different since I was last here as a ten year old."

His light blue eyes remain on the contents inside his bowl before peering up at me. "Funny. You're really funny Scarlett."

I sarcastically smile at him. "I know I am."

"You know what else you are? Good at avoiding my questions."

I tilt my head backwards and let out a dramatic sigh. I knew that this conversation would have occurred sometime today. I had just hoped that it wouldn't be fifteen minutes after I had woken up. 

"I'll allow you three questions. Go."

"Five questions."

I glare at him while scooping another spoonful of cheerios onto my spoon. Two of them were a little too slippery and fell off my spoon, falling back into the bowl and making a small splash. I blink a couple of times when a drop of the almond milk splashed up into my right eye. 

"Question number uno. How are you? Physically you appear fine, besides that nasty bruise on your arm. But how are you mentally?"

"I can honestly say that I have been feeling okay. Most of my time has been spent studying. I've been taking prerequisite classes in hopes of getting a scholarship to go to college. Since you know, unfortunately you and I weren't born into wealth. If that doesn't work out then I'll have to go and hunt down that gold you guys lost so that I can pay for it." I start laughing, but JJ doesn't find it humorous. 

"We didn't lose it. It was stolen from us. Just like the cross. Ward took everything."

Instantly regretting even bringing up the gold, I attempt to change the subject. "Next question?"

"How long do you plan on staying for?"

"JJ, I don't plan on going back. I won't take offence to it if you don't want me staying here. I can find another place to live. But I'm not going back there." This place has always felt like home to me. Besides, I am the happiest when I am with JJ. He is the only family who matters to me. 

JJ reaches for the cheerios box and pours more into his bowl. "I don't have a problem with you staying here. You can stay for as long as you need to." He reaches for the milk which is closer to my side of the table so I gently push it forwards so that he can reach it. I watch as he pours a dash of milk into the bowl before securing the lid and stirring around the cereal with his spoon. 

"I'll get a job to help you pay for the bills. Maybe we can even renovate this place."

"What job are you going to get?"

"That's going to count as one of your questions."

He squints his eyes and purses his lips, contemplating his decision. "Yeah, alright." 

I stand up and walk my bowl over to the sink. I turn on the water and rinse my bowl before placing it beside the sink with the rest of the washing up. 

"I was going to ask you if they're hiring at the yacht club? I'm not old enough to serve alcohol, but I could serve the food." 

"Yeah, I'll ask for you. But it's not the best environment to be in. The Kooks treat you like shit."

I shrug my shoulders and walk back over to the table. "Come on JJ, you know that I don't let people's words effect me." 

"I know, but you deserve better."