17. Movie Night

When I lived in OBX, I was too young to go to the annual movie nights. We always heard stories about how something crazy always went down. Now that I am back in town, I finally get to live out my childhood dream. I'm officially old enough to gather at the oval, in the centre of town for the annual movie night. 

JJ and John B are both carrying esky's that are full of booze. Kiara and Pope are carrying the chairs. Sarah is carrying the cosy blankets. I am carrying the most important of them all ... the snacks. 

"Did you end up finding out what film they're going to play?" I ask Kiara who was going to look into it when we discussed it hours ago. 

"A horror film." JJ answers my question with a devilish grin on his face, knowing full well that I am not a fan of horror films. My life at home was horrific enough. My father was the real-life villain and unlike in the films, he wasn't captured or killed. 

"I heard it was 50 Shades." Sarah adds.

Almost giving himself whiplash, John B quickly turns his head around so that he is looking at Sarah. "No honey, that's what's going to happen later." 

"Please kill me." Pope mutters under his breath.

"I know someone who can do that for you. Scarlett will give you his number." Kiara grins vividly at me. 

*

We set up our chairs in the middle half of the sports field. The huge projector screen is set up approximately 20 metres away from us. The atmosphere is incredible. Before the film started, everyone chose their spots and set up. 3/4 of our snacks had been demolished even before the film began so JJ and Pope sprinted up to the store to get some more before it closed for the evening. 

Grown Ups 2 is playing on the big screen. I was extremely pleased with the film choice because Grown Ups is one of my all-time favourite comedies. I have never seen a bad Adam Sandler film. 

"This is my favourite part." I hear JJ say, followed by munching of some sort. I lean forwards and see that he has opened another bag of cookies. I reach over and hold my hand out in front of him. He doesn't notice because his eyes are glued to the projector screen.

It's the scene where the fit guy is flexing his muscles in the water park and when he approaches the mother's, he has a high pitch voice. I hit JJ's arm and he hands me a handful of the small cookies. His eyes never leave the screen. 

Kiara steals one from my hand while I am carefully moving my hand closer to my body. Ironically, she is sitting beside JJ. She is sharing a blanket with me, but I know that she would rather be cuddling with a different Maybank. 

My phone vibrates on my lap. I pop a cookie into my mouth before lifting up the blanket that is wrapped over my body to take a look at my phone. 

Rafe: You look good tonight Maybank.

Rafe is here tonight? I haven't seen or heard from him in a few days. Each time I passed the Cameron residence when I was on the way to work, I didn't see his car parked on the driveway where it usually is. 

My phone goes off again.

Rafe: This movie is boring. Come take a walk with me.

It continuously goes off, receiving text, after text, after text. 

Rafe: I like your hair like that. 

Rafe: I can see you looking down at your phone. Don't ignore me.

Rafe: Was that a smile I seen?

I press my lips together to fight the urge to smile again. Judging from these flirtatious messages, I am 99% sure that Rafe is intoxicated. I turn my head, trying to look around the area for his familiar face. If he was standing up, he would be easy to spot because he is so much taller than everyone. But if he is sitting, he could be hidden anywhere because there are hundreds of people gathered here tonight.