37. Argument

The sun is just starting to rise which means there isn't much time left before the crew board the boat and get ready to take the first group of people on a journey this morning. We have to catch 3 boats in total to make it to Venezuela. Two bigger boats and one smaller boat. The small boat is going to be the hardest to sneak onto, but at least there's only two of us so we have less of a chance at being caught. 

"I know you and Rafe have never seen eye to eye, but I believe we can be a good team."

"Yeah, about that..." JJ sounds hesitant and I look from the ground, to him instead and I see his eyes fixated on something ahead. I turn my gaze in the same direction and come to a complete stop when I see the Pogues standing at the dock, waving at us. 

"What are they doing here?" I whisper-yell to JJ, slapping his arm. "I told you that they weren't to be involved in this."

"I couldn't keep this from them. As I said to you, it's either all of us or none of us."

I am surprised to see them here, but I am more surprised to see that Kiara is. I thought that she out of everyone was done with the hunt. She had given up completely. 

"Hey guys." JJ says as we reach the group. 

"Why the long face, you're not happy to see us?" John B asks, noticing my miserable facial expression and reluctant body language. 

"Come on, this will be a fun day of snorkelling." Kiara places her arm around me, trying to cheer me up.

"Snorkelling? That's what you told her?" Pope looks at Sarah who is awkwardly staring down at her feet. 

"I did't know what else to say. It was the only thing I could think of to get her here."

"Why did you guys lie to her?" JJ asks and Kiara removes her arm from around me as she realises that the group lied to her and we are most certainly not going snorkelling. 

"Well we didn't see you volunteering to tell her." Sarah defends herself towards JJ. She then looks at Kiara. "We are going to Venezuela where my brother is supposedly meeting my Dad. Who just so happens to have our gold and Pope's cross."

While Kie is shouting at the group, pissed off that they first of all lied to her and second of all, are going to find the cross and the gold, I stare at JJ who is avoiding eye contact with me at all costs. 

"I can't believe you." I say to him.

"I'm sorry Bambi, I know you're mad at me but this will be for the better. Do you really think Rafe would happily work with us and willingly give us the cross and the gold? I am glad that you told me about it and you know, maybe you should be the one to distract Rafe while we steal our stuff from him once he gets it from Ward?"

"Listen to yourself right now. That's even worse of an idea than what I had. At least I suggested splitting the possessions between us. Maybe Rafe would be willing to give us a small cut. Or at least Pope's cross."

"I'm not going." Kiara says, crossing her arms and taking a step backwards so that she is out of the circle. 

"We either all go or none of us go." JJ says to Kiara. "Come on Kie, we will only be gone for a few days. Say you are staying at Sarah's again."

She shakes her head at JJ. "No, I'm not going. I only stayed at Sarah's because I was having a fight with my Mum. We are actually on good terms at the moment. They will send me back to boarding school."

John B lets out a sigh. "JJ is right, it's either none of us or all of us. Do you really not want to go? This is our last shot Kie. Please come or else all of us will stay and forever be wondering what if."