27. Withdrawal

"How long do you think they're going to keep us in here?" I ask Rafe who tries kicking the door down for the 6th time since we came in here. Just like the previous 5 attempts, there isn't even a scratch on the door. 

Rafe shrugs his shoulders. "I don't know."

"What do you think they will do to us?"

"I said I don't fucking know Scarlett. Just stop talking."

I choose to listen to him because picking a fight with him isn't going to help our situation. Rafe's mood is only decreasing by each hour that we spend in here. I fell asleep a little while ago and I am pretty sure that it is the early hours of the next morning now. I can see Rafe's lips quivering and sweat resting on the top of his forehead. 

"If you want Ward, then let's talk. Keeping us locked in here isn't getting anyone anywhere." Rafe shouts into the door. "At least let her go. She plays no part in this."

He walks over to me and sits beside me, using the back of his hand to wipe away the sweat from his forehead. I reach up to his face and feel his cheek. His face is really warm. 

"There's only one good thing about being stuck in here."

"What's that?"

"You're forced to be clean."

Rafe shakes his head in disagreement. "By this time tomorrow, you're going to regret saying that."

I shake my head in disagreement. "No, you can do this. Without the drugs, you will be able to see how much better life is sober."

Rafe snickers. I'm glad that he can find humour in this situation. 

"Life is brilliant." His voice is laced with sarcasm. "We are locked in a fucking boat in the middle of the ocean. I don't understand what is good about that."

"I mean after we get out of here."

He rolls his eyes. "Here I was thinking you were the Maybank with the brain."

Ignoring his comment, I reach for his hand and grasp onto it. Meanwhile Rafe rests his head on my shoulder and he draws small circles on my hand with his thumb. 

"I'm sorry for bringing you into this Scarlett. It's all my fault."

"No, it's Ward's fault."

"I'm not innocent in this. I chose to help my Dad steal that gold. And the cross was all me. I wanted more."

"But you do it all for him. Tell me, was it all worth it Rafe?"

"Yeah, when I get my hands on that gold."

"What about the whole Peterkin thing. That one action of pulling that trigger changed your whole life forever. You're not a murderer Rafe. You only did that to protect him. He was going to prison and killing Peterkin was the only way you could stop that from happening. You were so desperate for him to be proud of you and prove to him that you are worthy of his love. Well I'll tell you something. He's not worthy of yours."

Rafe raises his head and stares into my eyes. "My Dad isn't a bad man. After Mum died, all he wanted was to keep our family together. He wanted to give us a good life."

"Sure, you drive around a Range Rover, but that doesn't define a good life."

"I'd take my life over yours any day."

Minutes ago he was mocking me for trying to convince him that he can live a better life while being sober. Now he is telling me that he lives a better life than me. Honestly, I wouldn't choose either of our lives. They are both fucked up in their own ways.