42 and last

After the party is almost over, I sit with Julie on a bench aside. It's past midnight, and Lennie lays her head and sleeps in my lap. Everyone is tired, and I can hardly feel my back; however, it's all worthless as we've enjoyed our time. We enjoyed music and dancing until our heads hurt and we couldn't feel our knees, and we ate from almost every sector until our stomachs almost exploded.

"You didn't tell me that Dr. Whitman was planning on honoring us today," Julie gibbers. "I looked like an idiot on stage."

"Did I look like I knew about it?" I laugh while taking a sip from the remains of the cold tea to help me digest the tons I have eaten.

She snickers. "Well, I think it might have gone well. I wonder if we would have been able to hold such a thing in the Glade."

"I doubt it," I answer. "But... our parties were fun too. I don't know about you, girls."

"They were fine, too," she answers after a while of thinking. She stays quiet for a while and then asks me, "Are you going to consider what that doctor said?"

"Which one?"

"The one who talked about fixing your limp."

"I'll need to think about it yet."

"Don't you trust them here?"

"It isn't that. It's just that I've become used to it."

She turns to look at me. "By the way... I wanted to ask you before, but I was afraid. How did you get this limp?" she asks me.

I press my lips. I'm not going to tell her the Griever's story. I cover Len's ear with my hand. "Can you keep a secret?" I ask her in a whisper.

Julie presses her lips and nods. I lick my lips and feel my voice dry. Finally, I ask her with a little laugh, "Do you know of Peter Pan? He visited me once and offered me to join the lost boys; however, the problem was that you can't go to Neverland if you can't fly. So, in order to teach me flying, Peter said that I should have a high head start, and I chose the highest wall in the Maze; however, unfortunately, Peter forgot about the Pixie dust, and... I got this limp."

I keep my vision straight and my voice low as I tell her. First, she doesn't say anything, but then she asks me with a dry, broken, voice, "Is that why you hate the Glade?"

I turn to look at her. Her eyes are dry as I can tell, but her face is grave. "We never belonged there, Joule. Nothing is ever meant to be raised in cage. I didn't want to spend my whole life trapped in a place with no way out. You can't blame someone for wanting to be free; however, what matters is how you get free. I'm glad I survived that, although I got this limp and that the days after it were the worst in my life. I can do things now I never dreamed I'd be able to do in the Glade. Like I told you before, we've been given a second chance, and I'm not planning on wasting it."

"And what chance do I have?!" she snickers.

"Be normal? Like the Flares never hit, like this is a normal place, that we're normal kids who are just planning to work with their hands and brain to do something by being us and not some bloody lab rats? Ain't this an opportunity?!"

Julie stays quiet for a very long while. "I'll begin my lessons next week, you know," she mumbles.

"That's just the beginning of the road. We can make a change, be something! In few years I'll be working in the hangar on Bergs. Neal said I might fly one too, one day. Don't you have anything you dream of being, Joule?! You said you were a med-jack."

"I was from the few who didn't get sick from the sight of blood," she giggles.

"Good! If you liked it, you might work with mum and Zaher here: become an apprentice and one day heading a place like this. We'll need many doctors, soon, Joule."

She smiles and looks at the horizon. "A crank doctor..." she whispers then.

"And a crank pilot. The world is coming to an end," I laugh.

She shakes her head. "Maybe," she whispers.

I notice she's just looking a distant bright star. "And then we'd tell them about it when we find them," she gibbers. I notice flicker of silver is rushing through the sky.

Once upon a time, after an illness called the Flare broke, two kids managed to miraculously survive; however, the price for their cure was losing all their friends- or so they were told. Deep inside, they knew that an end couldn't be like that, and thus, they settled their dream to find their lost ones. The boy did become a pilot, and the girl a doctor. They searched the whole Earth with no tire until they found them, and oh when they all found that those who were assumed dead were actually... alive.

...

The End