15

The alarm beeps at 7:30 AM. I feel like smashing it; however, keeping my head sunk in my pillows, I find the alarm and, gently, turn it off.

...

"Newt. Newt? NEWTON!"

I spring up from bed. Someone is pounding heavily on the door like Grievers have broken into the building. The room's phone is ringing too. I run to the door. "Hi. Yes?" I ask while rubbing my eyes.

"Newt, you're late. Everyone is waiting for you down." Imelda tries to keep her voice calm.

"What time is it?" I ask after a moment of daze.

"8:30, Newt. Your appointment was 8:00 sharp."

"Shuck it," I whisper under my breath. I don't know what to say. "I'll be ready in a minute," I answer and then go in to change. I wear a pair of jeans, and a T-shirt, my trainers, and then go down.

When I enter the lab where the tests shall be taken, I find many doctors gathered and discussing among each other. Dr. Whitman looks a bit disturbed. I apologize for being late. After that, two doctors guide me to a seat surrounded by medical equipment, while few nurses prepare syringes and few machines. I get a slight feeling of panic. I feel like I'm back into WICKED, but I have to hold it for now. For my friends: for Tommy, Minho, and everyone.

"Don't worry, Newt. It will all be over before you can feel it," Dr. Whitman tells me with a warm smile while tightening her hand in mine. She then gives the chance to another doctor to sit with me.

"Hello, Newt," a male doctor comes first. While rubbing my skin with alcohol, he says, "My name is Dr. Zaher. We shall take samples of your blood to check your immunity. Relax now and don't think of anything. Are you afraid?"

"No."

"Good," he answers. "Tell me about yourself. You've been in the Glade, right, Newt? Do you miss it there?"

Thinking of what I went through, I answer something I never would have thought I would ever say just  few months ago. "Yes."

Dr. Zaher smiles. "What did you like about the Glade, Newt? What did you do in there? I heard you had pretty interesting jobs in there: track-hoes, med-jacks, baggers, and... runners, I guess?"

I tell him about the mornings in the glade and the times with the shanks. I tell him about the time I was a runner... until I broke my leg while a Griever was chasing me, causing the limp I have now. Dr. Zaher tightens his lips. "Glad you're alright now," he says as he raises his head and smiles. I look around and find that everyone is quietly staring at me. I feel uncomfortable with their looks, until I suddenly feel the damp cotton pressed on my vein and he saying, "We're done now. Voila!"

Several more doctors run different tests. In my face, they show warm smiles and talk like friends; however, when they think that I'm not looking, I find tightened lips and their faces showing no sign. They keep on talking in whispers among each other while steeling sad looks over me. For an instance, I feel afraid. I hope it will all turn out well. I have to go and find my friends. I have to go and see my friends. Human, crank, Griever, unicorn, bulbs thing, I must go.

...

"We're done for today, Newt," Dr. Whitman's voice raises me. I open my eyes. I am swimming in my sweat. I've been in some sort of simulation. I don't remember what was in there, but I feel my head aching because of it. I go down the chair after she finishes disconnecting me. It's almost noon. I find the doctors grouped in a corner. Dr. Whitman then tells me, "You must be hungry now. You haven't eaten since last night. I have left few things for you on my table. You can leave now."

"What about my results?"

Dr. Whitman smiles. Dr. Zaher comes behind her checking a pack of papers and says, "I'm afraid to tell you this kid."

I look at him. My heart passes a beat. I try my best to pull myself together. "Yes?" I ask. What's coming up now?! Not afraid, though, anyways.

Dr. Whitman sees my eyes and turns to hide what sounds like a laugh. I feel her eyes sparkling with... tears? Dr. Zaher then proceeds.

"We have tried our best, kid. But, I'm afraid that... according... to the results... we have here..."

"Yes?" I ask, my heart pounding faster with each minute, and I trying my best not to shout or throw myself to pin someone's head on the floor."

"I guess... I think we've got a munie here."