26

I reread the report over and over, every time picking up new information, such as the fact that I was supposed to have the memory of killing Thomas, that the moment when Thomas pulled the trigger in the dream he was actually killing my crank side, and most importantly, the fact that my old brain is never coming back.

I lay on the bed and think. Try to relax, maybe. This little information explains a lot: Dr. Whitman's calmness with me, the other people's constant concern, the reason for all those times I've flared and felt I couldn't control anything. Of course. This is why everyone has been treating me as if I were five: everyone is viewing me as an atomic bomb that might explode at any moment if I get angered. Everyone is seeing me as a bloody brat if you don't give what you want, you would have to deal with the consequences.

If only... if only that old Newt, the one with the full brains everyone loved and respected, the Glade's second in command, was here, what would he do? I close my eyes and try to concentrate, trying to feel my brain and what it wants. A slight pain starts tinging in my head. I hear distant voices as if all the words I have read have ignited some sort of memories in my brain: distant voices, distant images, distant conversations...

Some place I can't exactly tell. A woman is checking a child on a bed. The child appears scared, but he stays strong and doesn't show it.

"But why do you want me? I am not like the other kids you want. Where did you take my sister? I want my sister now!"

"Your sister is in a safe place, and you better forget about her. It's true you might not be like the other kids, but you're not less than them. You're special just like them in your own way."

The voice is far, but I hear it clear as if it where right next to me. I open my eyes and look around, but there's no one there. The room is almost dark. I climb down the bed and look out the window.

Dr. Whitman is approaching the Berg with her mates.

I guess I'm done.

I fix my bed, grab the folder, and go out. I quickly, and as noiselessly as possible, return the folder to its place between the other folders. They almost fall down all while I place the file under them, but I swiftly catch them at the last moment. After that, I run out the room and close the door behind me. Mission's done. I bet if I were chased by a Griever I wouldn't be running that fast.

After I get my adrenaline level back to normal and my heart calm again, I go to change my sweatpants and shirt into the clothes I was wearing this morning. After that, I go to find Lennie.

"You never listen!" a loud cry comes out of the cabin. I follow the sound and enter. I get afraid Lennie might be arguing with someone, but I find her still while lying on a leather couch and resting her head in Imelda's lap. A movie is projected on the wall. When she sees me, she fixes her position and makes a place for me to sit.

"Good evening, Newt. Are you feeling better now?" she asks me as I take my place.

"Somehow," I answer. "What movie is this?"

"Nanny McPhee."

"What is it about?"

She presses her lips. Apparently, this isn't a very recommended question to ask about movies.

"Seven naughty children who've lost their mother. Here the eldest kid, Simon, tries talking to his father but he refuses to listen claiming that they're children and don't understand."

I quit the idea of asking more and just proceed in watching the movie. Simon is in some room and is asking a lady, his nanny, as I can tell, to do something. Apparently, the nanny is a witch. I bet such a person would have been of use in the Glade.

"Then at least may you promise to let us do whatever it takes to get rid of her."

"Are you prepared to accept the consequences?"

"You promise?"

"Yes! Yes, absolutely, I promise!"

"Then I will, as you put it, let you do whatever you have to do."

The lines send me thinking of something, and my chain of thoughts only gets interrupted by Dr. Whitman's entrance. She comes from behind and gives Lennie a quick kiss. She laughs about how it's like the hundredth time for her to watch this movie; however, I ignore them and keep focusing on the movie and my idea.

"What did you do here, Newt? Zaher told me you were tired so he sent you back. Are you alright now?"

"Yes."

Her voice after all I have read: her plan and the way she views me, makes my head hurt and my nerves burn. But I stay quiet. She laughs about other stuff, as if nothing had happened between me and her this morning. Finally, unable to hold it more, I rise and excuse them to leave. I have got a plan.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope you've liked this chapter. If you did, please consider voting and leaving your feedback. What do you think Newt be planning? Do you think Simon Brown might've bloody inspired him in anyway? Thanks for reading so far.

GM