20

"Hey! Newt? Wake up!"

"Uh? What? I wasn't sleeping."

"Yes. We know," Lennie answers with a mischievous smile.

"Where are we, Len?" I ask her as I get up.

"We're almost there. Can't you feel it, Newt?! Look out the window!"

I do. I find distant mountains with tops covered in a white. "Is that... snow?!" I ask, struggling to hide my surprise.

"Isn't it beautiful! Oh, Newt! Can you imagine it?! In the movies I've watched when it snows, they play snowball fights and build snowmen! Ah! I wanna build a snowman!"

"We'll build one together when we arrive," I answer without thinking. She turns to me with dropped jaw. "Really, Newt? Really?" she cries.

Still looking out, I nod.

"But you said you want to search for your friends?"

I bite my lips. "We'll find my friends then build a snowman to steel Tommy's carrots. Also a snowball fight to ruin Minho's hair," I grin. Even the thought is beautiful.

Suddenly, she crushes into me with a tight hug that I barely breath. "Oh, Newt! You're the best brother in the world!"

I smile for the last word despite feeling it weird. She draws off with a heavy, red color as if she's done something embarrassing. "Sorry, I didn't mean 'brother'," she whispers. "I meant... best friend."

"It's alright," I answer quietly as I look out again at the mountains. I remember the story her mother told and the brother Lennie lost to the Flare. "I can be your brother," I answer. Her eyes fill with tears, and her tongue gets tied again. I clear my voice, "Would you mind it?" I ask. "It ain't like I have any siblings either."

She buries her face in me and empties her eyes there. My hands get tied down to my sides, but then I raise them and hug her back. She gibbers few things under her breath I don't understand, but for a while, this all feels right.

During that, Dr. Whitman enters the room with Neal. On their necks hang their masks. They were apparently in some discussion before entering, for Dr. Whitman's face looks a bit disturbed, but she lightens a bit for my view with Lennie.

"Get yourself ready. We're landing soon, lad," Neal marks.

"You'll find some heavy clothes with your things. You'll freeze in that shirt," Dr. Whitman adds. Neal rolls his eyes, but she gives him a glare.

"I shall do that now," I answer. "Anything else?"

"In fact... we wanted to talk with you," Dr. Whitman answers. "Moment, please, Len?"

Lennie looks a bit disturbed, but she obeys. "What's there?" I ask. Dr. Whitman looks at Neal as a mark for him to start. Neal sighs.

"Look, lad, this mission here... of course its primary reason is to rescue your friends; however, it ain't just that."

"What Neal is trying to say is that we're here for some quite other important mission," she adds.

"What are you trying to say?" I ask, sensing danger.

"As you know, Newt, WICKED was one of the history's greatest scientific centers, if not the greatest. It costed like a bazillion dollars. Quite many important inventions that can aid humanity can be found there. Flat-trans, data analyzing computers, surgical robots, even memory swipes. Those are the century's greatest advancement in technology; unfortunately, WICKED used them only for their experiments."

"So?"

"We're here for the sake of few machines, what we can find," answers Neal. "We believe with the help of our team, we can put those machines back to work and in some use."

"Why are you telling me this?" I ask. Dr. Whitman swallows and Neal answers.

"Newt, we will be dividing into two squads: one'll be the search troop, which you'll join, and the other will be me and most of the doctors."

"Is this all you wanted to tell me?" I ask, pretty sure of what I've read in Dr. Whitman eyes. She signs for Neal, and he leaves. I repeat for her my question.

"Newt. I understand what you've been through, and we're trying to help you as much as we can. I want you to know that our intentions are well. We've already begun trying to develop a cure with your blood. You're Superstes, Newt, and this isn't a thing you should underestimate. Two specialized doctors are working on solving your limp, and they're looking forward for the machines in WICKED. We're already here searching for your friends, too. The question is: do you trust us, Newt?"

I keep my silence and look into her eyes. "What does my trust have to do?"

"Well, your memories, Newt. Do you trust us to restore your memories back?"

I frown. Returning my memories is out of the question. When WICKED offered back our memories, we refused because we couldn't trust them. As for trust here, I still can't tell yet. Other than that, do I really want my memories? All I know is being Newt, and I can't know myself as someone else. I don't know what sort of memories I might have. WICKED tests? My dead family? Alby didn't look so pleased with his memories, so why should I be pleased with mine? "No," I answer immediately. "I don't want my memories."

Dr. Whitman looks shocked. "Is there anything that you're distrusting us, Newt?"

"It's not about trusting you. I don't want my memories back," I answer firmly. "Take your bloody machines but keep me out of it. I'm just here for my friends; I've been clear about this. Even my limp; I'm alright with it."

She presses her lips. "It's alright," she answers. "You don't have to answer now. You'll have your time to think, and your choice will be respected whatever it is. Make up your mind. We just wish... you'll do what's right."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey! Hope you've liked this chapter. If you did, please consider voting ;) Do you think Newt can trust Sorcha or not? The coming chapters are intense!! And a surprise is the in the coming chapter!! (coughs) cross (coughs) over (coughs).

I'd also like to thank tearinmytruce  for the special activity with SUPERSTES. Thanks all for reading so far. See you soon, Gladers.

GM.