13

The clock shows five PM. I have replayed our conversation in my head hundred times. I can't tell who is wrong. Tommy was one of WICKED once, but he ended just like us, thrown into a maze with killing machines. Wasn't I the one who told him that what matters is who he is now?

My bones hurt for being still for long. Dinner is still served at seven thirty in a fancy restaurant downstairs. I haven't decided whether I will show or not. I grab my jacket and wear my trainers. I take my room's card (what I saw Imelda doing this morning) and place it in my pocket before leaving the room.

I get the feeling to wonder. After all, I was a runner once. There's no one in the corridor. I get a feeling of running, but I'm not in the mood. I walk to the elevator. I see a banner mentioning a garden and a swimming pool in the R floor. I'm not sure what the latter is, but I get interested. When the elevator comes, I click the mentioned floor. The elevator goes up so quickly that I feel my heart between my legs. I hold the bar and try to hold myself.

Within minutes, I reach the floor. I then understand that R stands for Roof. The doors open to a place full of sunlight. The sky is orange, and the hot sun is sinking in the far horizon. I find a green land decorated with cacti, flowerbeds, and curvy stone paths. High trees with peeling bark and weirdly shaped, pointy leaves shade many spots. Seats are spread, but I prefer to sit on the ground under a tree. I lay on the bark and close my eyes. Like I'm in the deadheads again.

When I open, I see a weird flash in the sky. I ignore it. I see it again, but I still ignore it. I have seen a lot that nothing surprises me anymore. Thanks to WICKED, we've been living under a rock. Literally.

Suddenly, I hear the sound of distant laughter. I turn and find two people sitting on a bench. I listen to them for a while. A box with a long bar is resting in the lap of one of them. I feel I've seen this weird thing before, but I don't recall it or its use.

"Hey, kid, over there," the man suddenly calls me. The person next to him, a girl, turns to look. I remember her: Lennie. She smiles when she sees me. "Come, Newt," she says. I walk over to them.

"Hey, lad," he says. His accent is similar to mine; in fact, even Dr. Whitman's. My accent has always been a prominent thing about me in the glade. I don't know why I speak differently, but it doesn't matter for me. "You're the famous Newt then; ain't you? Sorcha Whitman almost made banners about you," he says with a laugh. He then stretches his hand for me. "Name is Neal Johns; mechanical engineer. Do you mind joining us?"

I sit next to them and look at the thing on his lap. "Neal is teaching me to play guitar, Newt," Lennie suddenly says excitedly. "Maybe he can teach you too!" I nod. I turn then to Neal after a while of silence and ask him, "What is this thing sparkling up?"

"That?" answers Neal. "It's a force field so the Flare won't enter. Try throwing something at it." I take a rock and go to the edge. When I throw it, it bounces back. "And what are those trees?" I ask then. I feel like Tommy when he reached the glade and couldn't stop asking questions. I understand him now.

"They're palm trees," Neal answers patiently. "After the Solar Flares, temperatures increased. Fortunately, those trees were of the few that could survive the high temperature and little water. Temperatures are normalizing now, but those trees are still beautiful."

"Good that," I answer. We stay quiet once more until Lennie turns and squeals, "Mommy!"

I find Dr. Whitman standing behind. She looks at me and forms a tight-lipped smile. Lennie runs to her. "Mr. Johns, I hope the kids aren't bothering you," she says. "Seems you were having good times!"

"Aye; quite," Neal laughs. "Newt seems like a good man. Still need to check whether your fuzz was right or not."

"You shall see, Mr. Johns," she answers. "Newt was one of the best, an elite in his own way. Hopes are high on him."

"Seems so," Neal replies with a sigh. He then rises and tells me, "Hope we can meet again soon, mate. Maybe I can show you around once. Can I, doctor?"

"That would be great," Dr. Whitman answers. "Maybe Newt can make some good friends here."

"Hope so," Neal answers. He gives me a friendly pat on the shoulder and says, "See you 'till then. I've got things now." After that, he grabs his guitar and leaves.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, again, few things are inspired by THG. I felt force fields can help in such cases (as they can't let anything out, they can't let in). Neal is my addition. Hope you liked this chapter!!

GM.