22

I take my first step on the snow. The snow is white and soft, reflecting the sun's light. It looks beautiful, almost impossible, and I get lost in its looks for a while as if I were five. I wonder if this is the first time for me to see snow in my life. Suddenly, I get a tightening feeling in my chest. It has to do with the sealed box in my brain. After that, I hear the sound of cries and guns in my ears. It all feels like an old dream I can't remember.

Snow has to do something in my past.

Although I feel shaken for a second, I gather myself and proceed. I follow Four and Tris and sprint to catch up. That bloody limp again! We've landed a fair distance from the compound. The smoke is thick that I barely see the conquered place, but I do. A literal mass of black and smoke. Almost everything is conquered and by the ground. Even the wood around the compound is blackened. Fortunately, snow has turned off some of the fire, yet the place is still very hot, and the air is very thick.

Except for few troops that are already there searching the place, there's no sign of life in that black hell. Apparently, we are the only formal organization present, for the rest look more like civils, dressed in random clothes with masks either identical to ours or handmade. They have simple tents not very far away from us. The snow softens eventually and the smoke thickens. Coughs rise in our little army, and even some fall unconscious.

Dr. Whitman heads our group towards the tents. Apparently, she's on a previous contact with them. A man dressed like us comes up to her. I try to sneak past everyone to get to the conversation.

"Anything new?" she asks.

"Nothing," he answers. "Not in what we could reach in the least."

"We've got some tools that can help. Did you find anyone? Any kids?"

"Only workers until now. They're bagged in the tent to be taken."

"Names?"

"Janson. Also, there's-"

The name booms in my ears.

"Did you say Janson?" I ask after finally stepping out the crowd. Everyone's eyes turn to me, and some gibberish hums rise in the air. Dr. Whitman shouts for everyone then to quieten. The man looks at me. Dr. Whitman looks surprised for seeing me here after I was far behind, but I ignore her. The man gives her a questioning look. "He was one of the Gladers," she explains.

"You know Janson?" he asks me, but I don't answer and run past him into the tent, and there, I see him on the ground next to piles of corpses: Ratman.

The bodies have been preserved in the cold, and their looks are still clear, except for the burned or badly disformed ones. I recognize some to be from the ones we saw before breaking out, but I don't care for them.

I take off my mask and kneel next to Janson. His face is pale white. His eyes are closed as if sleeping and would open at any moment to announce the next trial. He's still as he was when we saw him last time. I then see what's under his collar. Veins. The black veins.

Janson, Ava Page's assistant, had the Flare.

I get a tingling sense of victory, and then I see his shirt. It wasn't the Flare that killed Janson, but a stab.

Someone had killed Janson.

I look at Ratman now with no invisible barriers between us now. I can easily punch him, tear his face with my nails, or do anything I want, but I stay still and just stare at him.

"Guess what, Ratman," I slowly sneer with the coldest voice I have. "I'm alive and immune, and you're dead and Flared. We've survived the Maze, the Scorch, and the Flare in the time you were hiding behind your desk. Now, here you're: stabbed, Flared, and dead while I'm standing on your body alive and immune. Guess the bloody game didn't end as you expected. Anyways, for your own sake, my friends better be alive. You have nowhere to run now, Ratman."

He keeps that cold smirk until I can't hold looking at him anymore. I feel disgusted of his sight. Few people have entered, and they stand behind me watching silently. I don't know if they've heard what I've told him, but I don't care.

"Newt, we're sorry," someone starts but stops when I rise and quietly make my way out.

"He's got what he deserves," I hiss before exiting. "I'm not here for this shuck-face, anyway."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope you've liked this chapter. If so, please consider giving it a vote and leaving your feedback! So, they have found Janson's body. Who do you think will be next? And what do you think Newt's reaction will be??? Thanks for reading so far!

GM.