3

I wake up with my heart thumping and I hardly having any oxygen in my lungs. My muscles still are numb as if they were paralyzed. I feel the taste of my sweat in my mouth. I try to relax my heart and sink in my pillows that have been stacked under my neck. I close my eyes and slow down my breath.

Whatever I have just seen, I can't tell its sort. The scene looked so real. I am not sure, but I remember being in that situation before, and definitely not begging for my life. I don't know. I don't know anything.

Memories start rushing into my brain. I remember The Flare, Rat man telling that I am not immune, and all that happened after that down to every single detail. Was I scared of the bloody Flare? Never! I never had any great expectations for me. All I had ever cared for was my friends, my family, those who were alright and could survive, unlike me, to make it. Who needed a bloody limping kid, anyway?

I remember the look on Tommy's face when he knew of my illness, Minho's word that I shall stay with them even as I turn into a crank. I recall the last words I had for each. I feel a flaring anger, both over them and myself. I knew that they wouldn't ever leave me behind, but I couldn't leave them watch me suffer, succumb to an illness with no cure, and slowly losing my brain.

Irony itself, isn't it? When every loving kid used to lose his head and go bloody wild, I was the one to stay placid and calm and tried to take hang of things and stay focused. Nice joke, life.

I remember when I had asked Tommy to help me not to become one of those bloody cranks. I remember writing that note for him after for a silly reason I had started bloody fighting with Minho.

Kill me. If you've ever been my friend, kill me.

I don't know where everyone is now. Maybe everyone is sleeping here somewhere, although my guts say something else completely. I remember the last memory we had was I almost pulling a trigger on Minho in the crank palace, and I begging Tommy to pull a trigger on me. What am I? 

I close my eyes, letting for the first time since I remember a tear fall down my face. I guess it had been a part of my duty as the glue to pull myself together, but now that no one is here, I have nothing to pull.

This is when I hear a sound in the room. So soft, and so gentle. I open my eyes and look to the side of the bed. My vision is fully clear now. I see a young girl who can't be older than twelve sitting on a small chair. Her outfit is simple and more casual than hospital style. She has a dirty-blond hair on her shoulders, and her eyes, so familiar to an image that flashes in my head, have a warm, hazel color. In front of her is a little screen barely larger than a palm, attached to wires connected to my bed. The girl is crossing legs on that little chair, and with her hand she hides a sniff as to not wake me up. Her eyes look red and swollen. She takes heavy breaths and looks up, wondering things while she tries to hold her breath and pull back her tears.

She looks too innocent to be any harm. I don't know why, but I remember Chuck, so I ask her just like I asked that little kid when he first came into the glade when I found him crying in the deadheads during his first night, "Hey, what are you crying for?"

She turns to me, wipes her tears with the edge of her hand, and smiles. "Oh, no! I am not crying," she answers. "You're up now. N-Newt, Isn't it? Are you feeling any pain? Would you like me to call for you the doctor?"

"No." I then remember. The doctor. I try to get up. Fortunately, now, I am not tied to the bed like some sort of a psycho in an asylum. Technically, I was some sort of a psycho in an asylum. I am not sure what is the difference now, but I bloody don't feel good about me feeling good.

"I need to run," I say as I sit in my bed. I am dressed in sheets, and my wrests and the back of my neck are connected to wireless sensors and tubes. I have to do this quickly before anyone comes.

"Where?!" she asks worriedly in a soft tone as she goes down her chair and tries to return me gently back to my bed. I ignore her as I try to pull the tube of a serum out of my wrest. "I can't let bloody WICKED have me," I answer her. "Never in their shuckiest dreams."

The girl smiles. "Don't worry. No bloody WICKED is going to get you here. You're safe."

"Heard this before," I answer as I pull out the other tube, biting my lips as I do. "No WICKED, and the next day we had to go into a bloody trial in The Scorch to a stick."

"N-Newt, you don't understand. I understand you, but please, listen. Please, Newt, please."

I turn to her. "Don't. Say. Please. Get off me, now," I answer firmly, a rage in my voice, as I push her away.

 "B-but, y-you d-don't u-understand. I-I swear to you. Just listen to me. We- I have waited to see you for so long. Why do you want to ruin everything?"

I turn to her. Her face is red, her eyes are swollen, and she breathes heavily as she sobs. Her face is glittering in tears. Good lord! I don't know who this girl is, her name, or why she wants me all that much, but I weaken for her sob. "What do you want?" I ask her firmly.

"N-Newt, I-I-"

"Lennie, come here, child," a voice breaks from the door. "Leave him now. He still needs some rest, love."

The woman then enters the room, grabs the girl's hand, and before she goes, she stares at me, frozen, for a while. Her look is soft despite having a weird color that can't be told in her eyes. "Good night for you too, Newt." And then she adds in a voice barely audible I doubt that I hear, "Son."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Things are starting to warm up! I know, many questions are up, especially for those who have read The Fever Code. An explanation is coming soon. I hope you have liked this chapter. If you do, please don't forget to tell me your thoughts in the comments and vote. Thank you for reading <3 <3

The question: why do you think Lennie (the girl) was crying? And why she might want Newt to stay a lot? I'll be waiting for you answers ;)

GM