39

"I've cured her?" I whimper, not believing what my mouth is saying.

"Not just her, Newt. The whole world," Sorcha repeats for me with a wide grin on her face.

We've left the quarantine and now we're in mother's room that I was taken to on the first day. We're sitting alone while she's finishing some paper work. I look at the bed where I had been told that I was cured from the Flare and wonder how I'm now not the only one with this blessing. I, WICKED's control subject that no one expected much for, have the cure for the illness that's wiped out humanity.

For a while, I forget everything. For a while, I feel thankful that I didn't die in that fall, that I have survived all the trials, and that Tommy has never pulled the trigger. "But... how is this possible?!" I ask her then, not sure whether the question comes out in a laugh or a cry. "I'm no one. How... how was I in WICKED for more than a decade and they still couldn't find that bloody cure?!"

Sorcha smiles. "WICKED was assured that the cure will be placed on a golden post with divine light shining on it from above. They believed that the answer was the munies; however, and learn this even for your life, Newt: the answer you want might be and is likely to be in the thing you take for granted."

"I have nothing special. How is it me?! How?!" I question her.

"Who said you're not special?!" mother asks me with a frown. "You're special just like all your friends. Just in a different way. There are many munies, but there's only one Superstes."

"And... what's now?" I ask then, hardly able to hold my excitement. "Will you be spreading the cure in hospitals?"

"You're getting too excited," she laughs. "We're still not there yet. We've to keep Julie under watch, develop the cure, and maybe repeat the trial with other cranks. But we're on our way there."

I stay quiet for a while. "When will she wake up? Julie?" I finally ask.

"Not sure. It'll depend. Any requests?"

"May I be the one there when she wakes up?"

Sorcha smiles. "You might need to spend your whole weekend in here then," she answers as she closes her folder. "I'll send you dinner with Neal."

...

It's almost midnight. The sky is dense dark outside. Yesterday, Julie was transported from the quarantine to a room like my previous hotel room. The doctors had to assure first that she was clear before taking her out of the quarantine. During the period, I've tried to stick to her as much as possible and keep my watch over her. I still can't hold my joy that I haven't killed her.

I went home this morning to change my clothes and sleep for a few hours before I return here. I've also brought my books to study. After all, despite that I'm now the owner of the Flare's cure, I still have a biology quiz in the immune system on Monday.

I've been studying for the past three hours. Of course, I knew a few things from before, like the antibodies part and gaining immunity with vaccines; however, I was amazed with quite many other things, like the way the whole system collaborates like an army to defend the body, and how things get jacked if something malfunctions.

I've organized the dirty tupperwares in the paper bag beside my books. The night light is on, and there's barely any other light except for the dim city's lights and the stars out. I'm lying in a sofa while trying to sleep for a while. I then hear her voice. I turn to Julie. Her face is red, her breath is heavy, and she's sweating; however, I know that this isn't due to the illness now.

"Let me! Please, let me!" I hear her mumble while her eyes are squeezed shut. "Please, don't leave me here! Sonya, I can get better. Harry, please, take me with you. Please, don't leave me here!"

Julie is having her version of my encounter with Tommy. She's about to wake up.

I go closer to her, but not too close. I take a chair and sit to watch. There's a machine Sorcha showed me to watch her dream, but I don't use it, preferring to let her have privacy with her dream. This isn't real. This isn't real, I keep on whispering in my brain for her. I can see that she isn't only sweating but also crying. This isn't real, Joule. Please, wake up now!

"Please, Sonya, if we've ever been friends, let me," she finally whispers in a broken breath, and then she goes still.

I stay quiet as a mouse while she opens her eyes. She looks astounded and lost for a while. Her eyes are still red, and her breath is still tight. She closes her eyes again and starts sobbing. I stay quiet; however, I finally gather my courage and clear my throat.

She flinches in surprise. Her lips get parted to speak, and she studies my face for a while.

"Glad you're up now," I whisper calmly. "Feeling better?"

"N-Newt?" she asks me in a confused voice. I nod. "B-but... what happened? Why am I here?!"

I just smile. "You shall know tomorrow," I answer. I then grasp my coat and head on my way out. "You need sleep now. Good night!"

I leave her shouting my name, but I don't bother to do anything but laugh.