𝖢𝗁𝖺𝗉𝗍𝖾𝗋 𝖥𝗈𝗎𝗋

As strange as this bunch was, y/n quite liked them.

Sure, things got a bit loud when Zenitsu was doing literally anything, and even louder thanks to Inosuke, but it was always nice to have Nezuko around.

Ah, she was always such a joy.

Y/n did require her peace, though, and the large estate provided a lovely space for her to get some quiet practice in during the day.

She practiced her sword techniques for as long as she could, which was a rather long time, before it got dark and Nezuko came out to greet her. Other times, one of the boys would stop by to say hello and her quiet time would come to an abrupt halt.

One day, Tanjiro had stopped by and watched her train for a bit. He seemed really curious about her techniques, and y/n wasn't quite sure how to take it.

"You're so elegant and focused when you're practicing! It's like you've done this a million times before!"

"Can you train me as well? I want to get stronger!"

"You don't mind if I watch you train, right?"

Before she knew it, Inosuke and Zenitsu were there too. Though it was no longer peaceful activity she had become so used to, it was still enjoyable enough.

Y/n hadn't intended to stay very long, only to make sure that the other demon slayers recovered well. Alas... duty calls.

Perhaps about 13 days in, y/n received a message, from a crow who swung by at the last second. Natagumo Mountain... apparently, she was to ensure that ten demon slayers there would have extra help when they arrived.

Ten was an awful lot... so something else was at play here. Ten. Why did they need another?

Mm, it wasn't y/n's place to question it.

'I'm sure Shinazugawa-san will understand.'  y/n thought, though she hesitated a bit, 'Ah. I wanted to make sure they all recovered first... perhaps I should wait a bit. But lives could be at stake.'

In the end, she made the decision to wait.
Then, during the early morning of the third day following the news of her next assignment, she left without a single word to the others.

It was better that she left. She was getting distracted, something she couldn't afford to do as a demon slayer.

The walk was a lonely one without Inosuke and Zenitsu's banter, and she missed Tanjiro's reassuring voice already. But she was used to being alone, there was no need to be getting lonely now.

When she reached Mt. Natagumo, she took a moment to stop and stare at the line of dark trees. Menacing...

"Have they already arrived?" y/n wondered aloud, before letting out a small sigh, "Haa... I guess I really was late. That's my own fault."

She contemplated just leaving, though a familiar head of yellow hair caught her attention up ahead. Was that...

"Zenitsu?"

"GYAHHHHHH!!!"

The terrified demon slayer whipped around, fear in his eyes, before he recognized that menacing oni mask and his eyes lit up, "Y/n?! Don't scare me like that!"

He started rambling about something but it was drowned out by white noise in y/n's mind. How'd he get here? More importantly, how did he get here before her?

She'd left early that morning, and did take a few detours, but surely they didn't take that long.

They did indeed take that long.