𝖢𝗁𝖺𝗉𝗍𝖾𝗋 𝖳𝗐𝖾𝗇𝗍𝗒-𝖮𝗇𝖾

The night had its charms.

Sure, there were demons lurking.
And danger was always around the corner.
Most nights were spent fighting for survival, too.
But there was always something serene about them.

Still, the sun was something to be fond of as well. The way it rose into the sky, bringing a new day and warmth was always a sight to behold.

As ironic as it was, the sun's radiance couldn't compare to that of Rengoku Kyojuro. That uplifting and reassuring light of his was loved and adored by all who knew him, and nothing would change that. Not even his unfortunate passing.

Y/n was going to remember.

She would hold onto her memories of him, and keep on getting stronger. Continue training to ensure she wouldn't have a friend killed right in front of her ever again.

"Y/n, you dumb 💩, what the hell are you doing?!"

Maybe not out in the rain, though.
Sanemi didn't seem to appreciate it.

Y/n had hardly noticed it when the sun set and rain began to fall heavily, soaking the training grounds as she continued to brutally batter training dummies until they were reduced to fragments of soggy wood.

She intended to ignore the Wind Hashira's shout, but he grabbed her by the top of her head and began dragging her back inside the dojo, "Wh— Shinazugawa-san!"

"You're not getting sick again! Get your 🍑 in here!"

Y/n didn't get to have a little idle grieving period, as she was immediately dispatched on another mission shortly after returning from the Mugen Train.

Unlike Tanjiro, Inosuke, and Zenitsu, she was relatively unharmed despite getting tossed around and pushing herself two far with the swapping breath styles thing.

'Moon breathing feels a lot more taxing than I remember. I've gotten soft.' y/n noted as she departed from the dojo early in the morning.

Shiori was perched on her shoulder, rambling about the mission, but y/n just... didn't hear her. At all.

'Maybe I ought to be listening... I can think about all of this stuff afterwards. And maybe talk to Tanjiro.'

"-and this demon is really tough to kill apparently." Shiori was saying, the duo making their way through a large woodland area, "The first group sent were all killed and get this... their Kasugai Crows were murked too!"

Oh. How frightening. Y/n let out a quiet hum, "Is that so? Well, I guess you shouldn't come with me."

"And let you go in there alone!? No way!"

"I'll be with the second group."

"So? I wanna see some drama!"

Y/n exhaled through her nose, "I'll never understand you... any more information I should know about?"

"Ah, well, there were reports from a single crow who survived..." Shiori murmured, "The people within the forest weren't killed by the demon. Rather... they were either killed by natural means in the forest or they killed one another."

"Killed one another?"

"Yes, yes! Keep in mind, the first group of Demon Slayers were stuck in there for weeks without any sources of food or water. It's to be expected that they turned against one another." Shiori reminded y/n, "But still... something isn't quite right..."

Y/n only hummed quietly. Well, that was definitely scary. The walk dragged on and on and on and... god damn the walking, but they eventually spotted a little town up ahead.