Chapter 1: A Single Moment

Asami

Asami lay awake staring at the sleeping form of Korra next to her. It never failed to amaze her just how beautiful Korra was especially when asleep. Asami loved to wake up early, just to stare at the cute face of her girlfriend and the way her short hair fell across her beautiful eyes, and to watch her dream. It let her know that everything was okay with Korra. While Korra was the Avatar, she was Korra first to Asami and the Avatar second. It had always been that way for her for as long as she could remember now.

Korra stirred in her sleep, murmuring something about tea and Asami's name. Asami smiled. She remembered that day. It was the day where they finally admitted their feelings for each other. It had been there they shared their first kiss.

They were at Air Temple Island, a few days after rescuing Prince Wu. Korra was staring wistfully into the ocean, something obviously bothering her. Asami was worried about her. She prepared tea for Korra and brought it out to her. Korra saw the tea and chuckled saying, "Aw, thanks Asami, you're so sweet." Asami almost melted hearing Korra's laugh. It had seemed like forever since she shared a laugh with Korra. While Korra was laughing through her mouth, she noticed the laugh never reached her eyes. Her eyes, usually a bright burning blue, were a mess of grey storm clouds and thrashing blue ocean. She still looked exhausted although she said she had been sleeping fine.

"Korra, what's the matter?" Asami questioned with a concerned look in her eyes. "The world doesn't need me Asami." Korra said dejectedly. "Even Toph said that! Look at all the guys we've fought. Amon. Unalaq. Zaheer. And now Kuvira. Each one hated me. They all wanted to change the world and I was in the way. All I did was cause trouble." She looked at Asami sadly, but her eyes told Asami that she was reliving her past fights.

"Don't you say that Korra! You've done so much good for the world! The world always needs you! I will always need you." Asami gasped and covered her mouth in shock. Did she really say that out loud? She turned away in horror. Oh my God. What did she just do? It was all over. She turned back to Korra. "KorraI." She began. "Shh." Korra whispered, putting her finger to Asami's mouth"What did you just say Asami?"

She's so beautiful. She's been through so much. I don't want to hurt her, but it's too late to turn back now, Asami thought. "I will always need you. Korra, I love you." Asami said, cringing at the thought of what she had gotten herself into. She slowly leaned into Korra. Korra didn't move away so she got braver. She leaned in and kissed Korra gently on the lips. The feeling that passed through Asami's body was instantly electric and sent shivers up her backspin unlike anything she had ever felt with anyone before. Asami felt Korra loosen against her as their lips made contact. Asami felt the joy and relief bubbling up inside her. It was Asami that pulled away first. She heard Korra's faint sigh of what she thought was disappointment.

As Asami pulled away, Korra reached out and pulled her closer. This time, they kissed longer. Korra felt all her pain go away. It was as if Asami had taken all her pain away and replaced it with all her love and hope. Korra slowly pulled away and she held Asami's face in front of hers. "I love you to." She softly spoke, tears staring to pool into her eyes. The two were locked in an everlasting embrace against the setting amber sun, their foreheads resting against each other with tears of joy streaming down their faces as years of pain were washed away in a single moment.

"Asami!" Korra sleepily complained. "You're doing it again."

"Huh? What?" Asami said, confused.

"You're doing it again." Korra said.

"Sorry, you know I can't help it." Asami grinned playfully. She loved seeing Korra's eyes open for the first time. They reminded her of a calm blue ocean.

Korra sighed and smiled, leaning in for a kiss. "I didn't say I didn't like it."