Chapter 8: The Joyful Nightmare

Huh?

Korra jolted awake as she felt something strangely ominous pass over her.

That was weird. Probably nothing.

She lay back down next to the sleeping form of Asami who had snuck into her bed after being unable to sleep because of her excitement.

Korra had lain staring at the ceiling and feeling the cool air of the Southern Water Tribe gently breeze into her room. She was so incredibly happy and she was glad Asami was to. Asami had been so good to her even when Korra hadn't been and she intended to make up for that fully.

She felt her snuggle up against her in the covers. "Hey, you." Asami whispered.

"Hey. What took you so long?" Korra whispered back taking Asami's hand into hers.

"Sorry, Ikki wouldn't stop talking. At least it wasn't 3 years you know." Asami responded.

Korra felt herself redden. "I'm so sorry! How many times do I have to apologize? We're getting married for crying out loud! How comeYou're laughing. Don't do that to me!" Korra felt Asami's body shaking in silent glee.

"I deserve to." Asami teased. "I'm going to do that to you for the rest of your life. And you're going to hate me every moment of it."

"I can't hate you. I never could." Korra said, taking Asami's face into her hands, wanting to memorize every last detail, from the soft slope of her nose to the way her eyebrows curved when she smiled. Even when she had no makeup on and was noticeably tired with small bags under her eyes, she was still gorgeous.

Korra continued to memorize her soon to be wife's face as she slowly lost the battle with sleep as it eventually overtook her. Her eyes began to droop and her mouth opened slightly as she yawned. "See you in the morning, I guess."

"I'm not going to sleep. I'm going to watch you sleep until you wake up. I want to be the first face you see." Korra assured her.

"Korra don't be stupid, although that does sound hopelessly romantic, you need to sleep, just like I need to" Asami trailed off as she slept peacefully.

Korra fell asleep exactly ten seconds later.

But now she was up and felt something strange. Maybe sleep would make her better.

She reached to put her arm around Asami's side. Her hand passed through.

What the?

Korra realized she felt strangely weightless. She could feel something calling her, so she let it take her. Better not to interrupt any kind of Spirit World stuff.

She saw Air Temple Island and the young air benders playing. Jinora didn't have her tattoos yet, Ikki and Meelo were so little.

She saw the pro-bending arena and the old Fire-Ferrets. Her, Bolin and Mako. They were so young and so stupid. "Why are you showing me this?" She yelled. "Who are you?"

She saw Asami and her father as she played pai-sho with him.

She saw the Northern Water Tribe and the portal that connected the Spirit World to the physical world open, so many spirits flying out.

She saw the spirits of Raava and Vaatu locked in their eternal war.

She saw herself defeating Kuvira once and for all, the metal bender's reign of terror put down. She saw Mako again, only this time he had his hand outstretched, smiling at her.

She saw his mask. "The era of bending is over. Forever!" "Oh no. No! Not again! No! No!" She screamed. "

Raava was destroyed, part of herself disappeared forever. Vaatu's bone-chilling cackle of joy. "No! That's not real! You're not real!" She wanted to hide. She wanted to get out of there. She wanted Asami.