Chapter 21: Peace

Opal sighed as she sat against a tree, watching her brothers play, feeling the sun's rays. Wei and Wing were working on perfecting a new version of power disc. Her other brother Huan was yet contemplating another disfigured hunk of metal that he had called "a work of art" when Opal confronted him about it.

She had come back home temporarily to visit. Nothing changed. That was Zaofu. While it was comforting it some ways, it reminded her of why she had left in the first place.

Well, one thing had changed. Baatar was under house arrest after he had surrendered himself, begging forgiveness from their mother. Opal couldn't blame him. He wasn't a bad person. He had just been confused.

So much has changed, and yet it feels like nothings happened.

"How you doing kid?" Lin Beifong's voice cut across her thoughts, the older woman wearing the traditional outfit of Zaofu elite, similar to the one her mother wore.

"Not bad, Aunt Lin." She smiled as her aunt sat next to her on the grass. She still looks so uncomfortable. "Come on, you should relax. This is a vacation."

"Pfft." Lin scoffed. "Vacation. I don't need a vacation. I should be in Republic City right now, not lazing around."

"This isn't lazing around, this is taking a break. When's the last time you took a break?" Opal crossed her arms and stared accusingly at her.

Lin's face softened. "You're my sister's kid that's for sure." Lin sighed. "I guess, I'm so used to things happening, that I'm not used to thispeace. It won't last. It never does."

How can she say that? Opal stared at the sky, watching the clouds drowsily drift. It's so calm here.

"Speaking of peace, here comes the end of ours. Weren't these two on some romantic getaway or something?" Lin's voice cut across her daydreams.

Opal looked to where Lin was pointing. Two women were talking to her mother on the terrace, holding hands. One wore light blue of the Southern Water Tribe, and the other, the familiar red and black fashion coat. Great. What were they doing here? She felt a sudden flare of jealousy as she remembered the night of their marriage.

Opal had been scrambling to make everything perfect for Korra and Asami and their special day. She had to remember not to seat Varrick and Tenzin together after some kind of strange incident involving a wing-suit and a tower. She had to make sure Jinora and Ikki knew their cues as flower girls/maid of honor. She had to keep Korra and Asami separate from each other until the actual ceremony began. Not only that, but Mako, of all people had shown up at the last moment and asked her a favor that involved him marrying Korra and Asami off!

Bolin, her lovable idiot of a boyfriend, had been no help. He anointed himself official food taster and proceeded to stuff himself with the new kale noodles that Opal had searched for relentlessly. Opal hadn't seen him again that day.

She remembered visiting the two girls in their separate rooms before the ceremony began.

There was Asami. She had been absolutely stunning in her elegant beauty. Yet, beneath her make-up, Opal had seen an energy in Asami's eyes unlike anything Opal had ever seen before. Asami was practically glowing as she almost giggled, twirling her dress as she looked in the mirror.

Then there was Korra. The poor girl was an emotional mess, although she had nothing to worry about, at least in Opal's eyes. She remembered talking with Asami's future wife who had asked her a question.

"How do you do it everyday? How do you love Bolin all the time?"

Opal remembered her rapid thoughts at the simple, but not-so-simple question. Why's she asking me that? It's her wedding! Speaking of Bolin, I wonder if he ate all the kale noodles yet. But as Opal thought about it, she realized, she had nothing. She didn't know why she loved Bolin. She just did.

But she knew why Asami loved Korra. They completed each other. They were there for the other in their darkest times. It was that simple. So she told Korra that. Well, she did remember yelling at Korra though. I blame the Beifong in me. Opal thought.

Korra had recovered quickly, something Opal admired about her. They had gone on to witness the most heartfelt ceremony Opal had the pleasure to view. Of course, Opal had the strange memory of Korra calling her Toph.

Seeing the two of them clasping hands, staring at each other intently as if they had a mental connection, as an old friend married them off, had almost made Opal lose it at that moment.

Why can't my relationship with Bolin be as strong as Korra and Asami's? She thought, as she moved her gaze from Bolin stuffing his face with kale noodles to watching Asami giggle as Korra dipped her and they sealed the deal with the most beautiful kiss Opal had ever seen.

As Opal walked to greet Korra and Asami with Lin, she realized she could see the two's future together right in front of her .They were married already and were obviously in love. They would probably adopt a child or two. Korra would be the "cool" mom, always encouraging her kid's wild behavior, but with a natural instinct towards their feelings. Asami would be the calmer mother, setting rules for the family and making sure their future was secure. Sometimes Korra would break the rules and sometimes Asami would let her get away with it. She saw a little girl with Korra's blue eyes and Asami's pale skin working on a satomobile with her mother. She saw a boy with Asami's green eyes and Korra's darker skin practicing a new water-bending technique together.

She smiled as she felt her envy melt away. They were happy together. Opal hugged the two of them at once, feeling tears well up in her eyes. And although Opal knew they weren't here for pleasure, she felt happy to see them happy.

They're just beautiful people who found each other. Opal thought, locked in the embrace of Korra and Asami. Now that I think about it, what was I thinking letting Mako marry them together? Oh well. Opal mentally shrugged.

In the end, how can I be jealous of true love?