Chapter 14: Dancing in the Moonlight

They took to the dance floor together as people diverged to the sides to let the newlyweds pass, neither taking their eyes off the others. The undeniable look of love in their eyes enchanted onlookers and set the hearts of many to tears at the sheer beauty of true love between two people. The floor cleared itself as they began to make sweet music together.

Sounds of a gentle ballad filled the air, as the music shifted from the previously upbeat number to a much more intimate one. They took each other by the hand and smiled reassuringly as they held each other so closely as if to tell each other "I'm never letting you go."

They began to dance.

Each and every movement was perfectly mirrored by the other. Red and blue intertwined flawlessly as their very spirits became visible to the naked eye, rising in the air and entangling itself into a seamless spiral. The pure harmony between them set every person present speechless and the musicians stopped playing themselves, joining the onlookers observing in awe.

And yet, the music still played.

They were creating their own music, a dance of anticipation and connectivity, one would step one way and the other was quick to follow. Spirits materialized around them, hovering slightly, laughing as they took in the joy of the two.

They paused, looking up together and smiling at the dancing spirits above them, their eyes moist from tears of ecstasy and relief. Encouraged by the spirits, they moved even closer and resumed their dance, locked permanently in each others gaze.

The night clouds parted to reveal the calm glow of the moon as if the Moon Spirit herself was smiling upon them. The moonlight, while fairly dim, seemed to envelope the couple, bathing them in milky white light and giving them a personal spotlight.

One stepped, unsure at first, then eventually with more confidence, as her hesitance turned to joy, reflected in the joy of her blue eyes.

The other grinned slyly and dipped her partner with the break of the music, the moonlight reflecting itself in her sleek black hair as it dipped with them and tickled her partner's face, who smiled shyly

It was a dance of love, a symphony of harmony.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Together, they sat on the stone steps that led to the gazebo where they had first kissed, taking a break from the wedding. Their wedding.

Korra was leaning on Asami's shoulder, contently staring at the moon as Asami stroked Korra's hair again and again.

I still can't believe it. Asami thought.

"Believe what?" Korra asked out loud, her hand in Asami's other hand.

Ooh, that's right, we've got this weird mental thing going on right now. Yikes.

"We sure do." Korra said. "Do you think you can talk, like, out loud for a little bit? I feel kind of stupid talking to you like this."

But you can hear me, can't you? Asami lifted her gaze to the same moon Korra was staring at. It sure is beautiful.

Korra sighed audibly. It was nice that they had this mental connection, but it was already a little annoying at times. For starters, hearing Asami in her head wasn't nearly the same as hearing Asami's beautiful voice. That voice was what gave her strength to keep fighting every day. Without that voice, there was hardly any reason to live.

"I can hear you." Asami said, her voice soft. "I can't believe that we're here. You and me. Together."

Korra pushed herself up from her comfortable perch on Asami's shoulder. She looked at Asami. Her eyes were still moist from tears, but somewhere in her tears of joy, Korra saw some of Asami's old pain. She hated seeing Asami suffer.

"And why is that, Miss Sato?" Korra said, grasping Asami's hand even tighter. She didn't want Asami to ever feel lonely again. At the slightest hint of doubt, Korra would do all she could to keep her happy.

Asami smiled. "Mrs. Sato." She corrected. Her face fell. "I don't know, there's just so many things I'm worried about." She sighed and leaned back. "But this isn't the time or the place to talk about it."

"You should tell me about it. After all, we're married now." Korra said casually, as her thoughts immediately erupted into confusion. Oh wait! Why did I do that! She doesn't want to talk about it!

This time, Asami laughed. "Korra!" She said, still laughing. "You worry about us too much."

Her face shifted from happiness to stress once again. "It's just...this." She motioned between the two of them. "What are people going to think? This...um...isn't normally accepted in Republic City."

"Well, who's going to stop us?" Korra said, her eyes lighting up. I can do this, I'm going to help Asami the same way she's always helped me. Her confidence rising, she pushed herself to her feet with a slight whoosh of air.

"Look at us!" Korra motioned at the two of them. "We're the most powerful girls in Republic CIty!"

"Um...Okay. That still doesn't change what people will be thinking about us." Asami said doubtfully.

"No, that's not what I meant!" Agh! What do I say and how do I say it? I know I had a point! Korra knew Asami could hear her thoughts but was probably just being too polite to notice.

Oh yeah, that's right!

"I'm the Avatar." Korra pointed to herself.

"Yes Korra, you're the Avatar." Asami said.

"No wait! Please, just listen! I know you're always there for me, and this time I want to be there for you! Please, just listen!" Korra pleaded.

Asami nodded and stopped talking, although it looked like it pained her to do so.

"I'm the Avatar. You're CEO of Future Industries, the most important company to Republic City! They just can't say no to us!" Korra said, proud of her thought process.

"You know," Asami began, as if considering her point. "You have a point there. They can't afford to say no."

"And..." Korra started, "Aren't you a big designer for the city's infrastructure? You said that in your letter. You're important to Raiko and the city!." I'm doing it. I'm doing it! Korra felt giddy.

"You're right. I did redesign most of the roads, and you've saved this city so many times already!" Asami said, seemingly along with the idea now.

"Yeah!' Korra pulled Asami up and smiled. "We'll be fine."

They embraced one more time.

"Asami?"

"Korra?"

I have to bring it back to reality. It pained Korra to do so.

"What if they do say no?" Korra said.

"Well, then..." Asami began, pushing the hair out of Korra's eyes, and leaning forward to kiss her bride once more. Korra knew she would never get tired of Asami's kisses.

"Then what?" Korra asked breathlessly, as it killed her that her curiosity was deviating time from kissing Asami.

"They'll just have to deal with it."