Chapter 3: In Perfect Harmony

The girl flew across the floor like air, gliding as her feet barely flitted above the surface. Her partner caught her and delicately dipped her so low her head almost touched the clear reflection of the crystal lake they were dancing on.

Asami was transfixed by how synchronized the pair were. Everything one did, the other instantly recognized, changing their form to mirror the others.

The pair wore matching outfits. The girl, a shimmering gown that majestically draped across her porcelain figure as she moved effortlessly around the room. The man, a noticeably tight uniform that did nothing to accentuate his rather portly figure. But it didn't matter. Their harmony was incredible.

The dinner with Bolin and Opal had gone better than Asami could have hoped for. They were the most accepting people in the world and Asami loved them for that. Asami could behave how she wanted with Korra in front of them. They were easy to people to love because they loved other people unconditionally.

Bolin had started living at Air Temple Island again after the war with Kuvira was over, he revealed. He couldn't stop talking about it from the moment they stepped into the car, to the moment they sat down in the restaurant.

"Oh yeah! It's great." He said, once they were all seated. "I've got four little brothers and sisters, one amazing aunt, one grumpy uncle and one amazing girlfriend! What more could a guy ask for? This one time" Bolin started rambling about something the time Bumi visited and messed around with the kids.

Opal blushed, her face turning to a light shade of pink. "Bolin. Sweetie, stop talking for second and let Korra or Asami talk, please?"

Korra shot Asami a sideways glance and Asami caught her eye. Some things never change,
Asami thought. They burst out into laughter.

"Same old Bolin." Asami approved. Korra could only nod, still laughing.

Bolin sheepishly grinned and shut his mouth.

"Now," Opal said, leaning forward and resting her head thoughtfully on the palms of her hands.

Bolin leaned forward and crocked his head the same way Opal was. He even mimicked her slightly raised eyebrows that she did subconsciously when she looked worried.

Time to get to business. Asami thought, struggling not to laugh again. From the looks of it, Korra was having the same dilemma. Bolin just looked so funny.

"How are you guys doing?" Opal asked in concern, oblivious to the sideshow of her boyfriend. "Have you guys talked to Mako yet?"

Of all their friends, only Mako had taken offense to the relationship Korra and Asami established after Kuvira was finally defeated.

When Asami ran up to the bruised and badly shaken Korra who defeated Kuvira thanks to the help of Asami, Mako, Bolin, Tenzin and so many others, Mako had gotten there first. He ran up to her and hugged her, whispering things in her ears.

Whatever he had said that day still hurt Korra whenever she heard his name.

Korra had shoved him away and grabbed Asami, pulling her so close, the smell of sweat and blood and the wetness of tears combining through their embrace. Then this time, Korra kissed her first.

Asami hadn't known that Korra would have done that in front of everyone else so soon and her heartbeat had quickened as she realized, she didn't care. All that mattered was her friend was still alive and still there for Asami to hold.

When she pulled away, she then realized that everyone was around her. They were all smiling.

"It's about time you two got together!" Varrick, of all people had said to her.