Chapter 4: How She Loves

They lay on the beach together, side by side in the coolness of the midnight moonlight. The gentle light that the moon brought illuminating the outlines of their bodies.

Korra had always loved the peacefulness the moon brought to her and sharing it with Asami made it feel that much sweeter. The ocean was calm tonight. The sound of the gentle waves coming into shore then slowly pulling back out was comforting. It reminded Korra of home.

Korra aimlessly played with a stray lock of Asami's hair, twirling it around her finger, letting it unfurl then repeating again and again.

Asami rolled over so she was on her side looking at Korra, her hair flowing freely as she pushed it out of her eyes.

"Korra." Asami said quietly. "How come it took so long for this to happen?"

"For what to happen?" Korra asked.

"Us. You and me. How come it took so long?"

Korra lay on her side. facing Asami, contemplating the simple question.

Korra wondered. Honestly, she hadn't thought of it before. They hadn't really been friends, her and Asami until after Harmonic Convergence.

"I don't know." Korra said, gazing at the stars. They were like miniature balls of fire, she supposed. "I was confused for a long time. When I first arrived in Republic City, before Amon, before Unalaq, before Zaheer, I was a stupid kid. I had no idea how to control my feelings. I didn't know what love was. You taught me. It was after Zaheer messed me up and you took care of me the whole time, that I realized how important you are to me."

"Why didn't you let me come with you?" Asami asked. "All those years ago."

"I didn't know. I didn't know a lot of things back then. I'm sorry if I hurt you." Korra said.

Asami smiled. "There's nothing to be sorry about. I'm here now."

They lay there for some time, silently staring into each others eyes.

Korra sat up. She felt something pulling her to the water. The water was clean, somehow the murky waters of Republic City were clear as the oceans back home. It was as if the Moon Spirit herself was smiling upon them

Asami noticed it to.

"Hey, that's strange. Why's the water so clear?" Asami said in wonder.

Korra smiled and stood. She let the now dirty blue dress fall to the ground and extended her hand to Asami who was now staring at Korra.

Asami took Korra's hand in uncertainty as she let her girlfriend lead her to the still waters.

"Care for a little swim Miss Sato?" Korra said suggestively.

"Korra? Do you know how dirty that water is? All the waste? It'sHey!"

Korra interrupted the inventor's complaints, picking her up and launching them into the air, as she pulled water from the ocean and let it drag them further and further into the coolness of the sea.

The water hugged Korra's body and gently pushed her closer to Asami who was shivering.

Korra willed the water to pull Asami closer to her and she put her arms around her.

"Well, not so bad, eh Asami?" Korra said.

"You know," Asami considered, "You're right. It actually feels somehow, alive."

Korra gently pulled her closer, as if trying to push their bodies into becoming one, slowly undoing the clasps to her bra.

"I want to see you." Korra said softly. "All of you."

"Wait." Asami stopped her. Her face was a deep blush unlike Asami who was always cool and composed, and she radiated heat, even though they were in the water.

"Why not?" Korra said breathlessly. She desperately wanted her. She needed her. She wanted her to be a part of her.

"Korra, I love you." Asami said.

"I love you to."

"Let's get married."