Chapter 15: A Window To The Past

As Asami leaned forward to kiss her new wife, she remembered their first kiss once again.

She could see it in her mind like it happened yesterday. Korra was sitting on the railing of an Air Temple Island gazebo, a picture of restlessness. Her fingers kept tapping her knee and refused to stay still. Those eyes betrayed a hidden pain and worry that Korra stubbornly refused to show her.

She remembered trying to get it out of her. Korra always had a permanent frown on her face back then. When Korra was eating, which she hardly did, Asami would attempt to bring up the subject, asking about how she was doing. Korra's eyes would cloud over and she would quickly throw on a fake smile and say something like "I'm fine, Asami! Nothing to worry about." Asami would see that when she walked out of the room, Korra's shoulders would slump and she would sigh audibly.

Asami needed some excuse to talk to Korra without seeming too obvious. She went in the kitchen where Pema was preparing dinner for tonight. Pema had been so kind to Asami, letting her stay with them, not questioning why Asami would rather be at Air Temple Island than her own home. Of course, Korra was her number one priority, especially after being gone for three years! That was why she was there. "Hi, Pema. Do you think I could have a cup of tea please? It's pretty cold today, and me and Korra wanted some." She had asked, not trying to seem too nervous. Pema had smiled her kind smile and said, "Of course! I just made a fresh batch on the stove, Asami. Help yourself."

"Thank you!" Asami smiled with relief and moved to grab the tea pot, wrapping her hand in a cloth to not burn herself.

"You know, Asami." Pema began, chopping up vegetables for the soup. "It's nice to see you again after all these years. You never visit enough."

Asami sighed. "I know, I feel like it's been forever, and the kids are so big already!" She grasped both her hands around the hot tea cup, as the comforting warmth spread throughout her body.

Pema stopped chopping and looked up, as if she just realized something.

"Are you alright Pema?" Asami asked.

"I'm fine, itsI've just realizedKorra's back and now you're back with herat the same time." Pema said, turning to look at Asami. "She's lucky to have such a good friend as you." Pema smiled again.

Asami nodded hesitantly, not completely sure where Pema was going with that. "She's my friend. She's been gone for three years. Of course I'm going to be with her!"

"Of course." Pema said. "Now, go on. I've got to finish dinner Asami."

As Asami walked away, Pema noticed that Asami had only one cup of tea when she said she wanted tea for both her and Korra.

Now Asami was staring at Korra. Something inside her woke when she saw her. She hadn't time to realize it when she was busy redesigning Republic City, but now that she had time, she realized that maybeshe loved this girl. She was precious to her. And she was hurting.

How could Asami stop that hurt? She wasn't all that sure how, but she was going to do what she did best. Be there for her friend in any way possible.

As she nervously approached the gazebo where Korra was sitting, she noticed the sky. It was a majestic purple with dashes of orange streaking through as the sun went down.

It's so beautiful. Asami thought. I've never seen the sky like that before. She walked up the steps leading to the gazebo, and Korra turned her head to the sound of footsteps. When she saw it was Asami, she turned back to the horizon she was staring at.

"Hi, Korra." Asami said hesitantly, trying to sound cheerful.

Korra was still noticeably depressed. "Hey, Asami." Korra replied, her voice having none of it's usual enthusiasm.

"I brought you tea. I thought you might be cold out here." Asami brightly said, holding it out.

"Thanks, you're so sweet." Korra replied, standing and taking it from her, her hand brushing Asami's in the process.

Inside, Asami was conflicted. Before when Korra was limited to a wheelchair, Asami had held Korra's hand, but she hadn't felt anything in this way. Now, their hands simply glanced off each other and Asami felt like blushing. What did that mean? Did that mean anything?

"What's wrong Korra?" She moved closer to her, their arms almost touching as they leaned against the railing together.

"I've just been thinking Asami." Korra began. "Does the world still need the Avatar? Does the world need me? All my life, I was told the world needed the Avatar. I go out into the world and everyone I meet is telling me they don't need me anymore! I don't know what to do.."

"Of course the world needs you! Who would have stopped Amon? Who would have stopped Unalaq? Who would have stopped the Red Lotus? Who's going to stop Kuvira?" Who's the most important person in the world to me? Asami thought the last part glumly as she looked at Korra.

"No." Korra shook her head. "Everyone else had a hand in beating those guys. They could have taken care of it without me." She seemed to slouch even lower as if feeling the weight of it on her shoulders.

"Let's face it Asami, no one needs me."

Asami's eyes widened in shock, unknown to Korra who was now facing the horizon again. I do. She thought. How did I live without you?

"Korra, you're just saying that. You don't really mean it." Asami put her hand on Korra's shoulder.

Korra turned to look at her, the pain in her eyes clearly visible. "I do."

Asami quickly hugged Korra, who was shaking. "I don't know what to do, Asami." She started to cry, her body shaking in Asami's arms.

"Korra." Asami said, holding her at arms length, staring into her blue eyes which were now swimming in tears.

"I need you. I need you so much. When you left, I thought I was strong enough to go on until you came back. Then, well" Asami looked at her. "Do you get what I'm saying? Ium..think I love you Korra."

Korra's eyes widened. She turned away. "AsamiI don't know what to say." Her tone was deadpan and had no emotion.

Damn it. Asami thought. I screwed everything up.

She waited. Even though it was only a few seconds before Korra responded, it felt like forever.

"I love you to." Korra said, as if sounding out the words.

"What?!" Asami couldn't believe it.

"I love you to." Korra said, more sure of herself. Now she grinned. "I love you to! I love you Asami Sato!"

And the rest was history.

Here they were today, holding each other in one another's arms, kissing with the same passion they did on that day