Chapter 11: The Pre-Wedding

[Two weeks have passed]

Asami looked at herself in the mirror, turning back and forward, admiring the sleekness of her red dress as it hugged her body. She knew Korra would love it. It made the blue of the betrothal necklace Korra had given her seem even brighter. She reached for it, on her dresser. It fit her neck perfectly.

Someone knocked lightly on the door. "Asami?" Opal poked her head in the room shyly. "Are you ready for your big day? Wow…" Opal was rendered speechless. "You're beautiful."

"Really? You think so?" Asami looked at Opal in the mirror in doubt. "You're just being kind."

"No. Seriously, Asami. I am NOT kidding." Opal assured her, her eyes saying it all. "You're practically glowing." Opal sighed in content and ran out the door.

Asami shook her head and smiled. Opal was such a good person. She and Bolin had both volunteered themselves to run Asami and Korra's wedding for them. All Asami and Korra had to do was tell them where they wanted it to happen. They would take care of the rest. Asami was so grateful to them for that.

Of course it would happen on Air Temple Island. There were so many memories here that Asami had here, most of them involving Korra. It was more of a home to her than the place she grew up in. Nothing but bad memories and old ghosts lived there, and she hated it. Korra was the only thing that made everything seem better to her.

Just the final touch, she thought. She pulled her hair out of the usual business band that she held it in at all times. Her shiny black locks fell and draped itself around and over her shoulders. She had been debating whether to keep it up or not. She figured it would look better down.

"No, Korra! Don't! You can't go in there!" Asami heard Opal's protests in the hallway outside.

"In here? Well, thanks for telling me Opal!" Korra's joking voice said playfully to the disgruntled airbender.

Asami heard Opal's frustrated groan, picturing her sharp eyes and imagining her putting her hands on her hips. Then she sighed audibly, and Asami knew she had given in.

"Alright, Korra. You win. Just hurry okay? We're already ten minutes behind schedule!" Opal said frantically as she ran off.

Asami ran to the door and opened it. There she was, her hand awkwardly risen, prepared to knock.

"You were gonna knock?" Asami said skeptically, her eyebrows raised. She knew it would have a big effect on Korra.

"Uh…" Korra began. Her eyes were open wide, and her mouth ajar. "Uh…"

She's speechless! Asami thought in glee. But she's so gorgeous!

"I'm kidding!" Asami playfully said, grabbing Korra's hand and pulling her into the room, positioning her in a way so she could see both of them in the mirror.

Korra's short hair had been pulled up gently into a bun, wrapped in a soft blue band that rested on top of her head. Strands of hair still fell around her face on each side, She wore a light blue dress, similar in color to the clothes she always wore. Noticeably, her dress had long sleeves, but were open in her upper arm area, revealing Korra's shoulders in a way that Asami adored.

"You look amazing!" Asami said, putting her hands on Korra's shoulders as she admired Korra's natural beauty.

Korra finally found her voice, although it was slightly shaking. "I don't think so, I mean look at you! You're flawless. I could never be like that."

Thank God for that. Asami thought, her eyes eating in every detail of Korra, wanting to savor the moment. You're perfect the way you are.

"And that's completely fine." Asami said, slowly moving her hands down Korra's shoulders to her elbows to her hands, taking them into hers, enjoying the way Korra slightly shuddered at her touch. "I love you just the way you are."

Korra looked like she might cry right there. She turned to face Asami, and she buried her face in her chest, wrapping her arms around Asami tightly. Asami held her, feeling Korra shake in her arms.

"What's wrong, Korra?" Asami said in concern. "If you're not ready, we can hold it off." She stroked Korra's hair.

"I, I might not be ready Asami." Korra said in her tears. "I've never felt this way before."

Asami held Korra even tighter. "Hey, I'll be with you every step of the way. We'll get through this. Together."

When they finally let go of each other, Korra's eyes were still wet, but Asami realized.

She's crying, but she's smiling. Asami thought in awe, smiling in satisfaction.

Opal's frantic footsteps came back. "Come on guys! Oh…" Opal paused, seeing Korra in tears and Asami holding her. "You know, I'd really like to, but we can't wait any longer. Are you guys ready?" Opal asked, her green eyes lighting up in worry.

Asami looked at Korra who nodded wordlessly. She interlocked her arm in Korra's, as they never took their eyes from the other.

"I've never been more ready for anything in my entire life."

They stepped out of the room together as one.