Chapter 7: The Betrothal

"They did what!?" Senna's usually calm voice rose to a shout of disbelief.

"That's right, Aunt Senna! Korra threw me off Pepper and then her and Asami tried to ditch us!" Ikki exclaimed

"No, Korra why would you do that?" Senna said.

"Hey, they're air benders Mom, they can fly." Korra shrugged.

"That doesn't mean you had to ditch us." Jinora crossed her arms and looked at Korra.

Jinora and Ikki had finally caught up to them after Korra and Asami had thrown them off Pepper. They only caught up because Pepper had refused to fly any faster without her master.

"Come on Pepper, you can go a little faster!" Korra had demanded.

"I think that's all she's willing to give." Asami had said.

"Aw, you're no fun Pepper." Korra said, as the two air benders lightly flighted upon Pepper's back.

"The only reason we're still following you two is because we want Pepper back!" Ikki said.

"Aw, come on guys, I was only kidding. When we get to the Southern Water Tribe, I'll make it up to you okay?" Korra coaxed.

The kids couldn't resist. Now they were all sitting in Korra's house with her mother and Katara.

"Well, I'm sure Korra is very sorry she did that." Katara, the elderly healer said, slowly getting up. "Why don't you two kids come with me. I'll show you something fun me and your grandfather did on the first day we met."

"Penguin sliding?" Jinora perked up. "Cool! This should be fun, come on Ikki!"

They stood up, each holding one of Katara's hands.

"Did you know you liked grandpa when you met him? Was he always bald? Did he have a sky bison to? How old were you? Could you waterbed already? Blahblahblah"

The sound of Ikki sprouting question after question faded as they left the room.

"Those two are getting so big." Senna sighed. "So. Korra, Asami, what are you guys doing here? Is there something wrong?" She looked at both of them in concern.

Korra and Asami shared a glance. It was now or never. Asami nodded and smiled.

"Mom. With your permission, me and Asami would like to get married. I know it's untraditional, but I love her, and she loves me." Korra dropped the bomb. She wondered how her mother would react.

Senna's eyes widened.

That probably wasn't what she was expecting. Korra thought.

Senna stood and walked to the window. "You know, me and your father initially hoped you would marry a nice boy like a normal water tribe girl."

That doesn't sound good. Korra thought in dismay.

"But then we found out you were the Avatar, and well...you know how that goes. Nothing was the same and we knew that you would be different." Sennsa sighed audibly.

Her mother turned to face the two. Her facial expressions were unreadable.

Senna smiled and held her arms out. "I'm so happy for both of you!" Senna cried, sitting back down.

"You're not mad?" Asami asked hesitantly.

"How could I be mad?" Senna said.

"But, we're, you know.." Korra trailed off.

"You're what? Too perfect for each other for words? I know it's untraditional, but I don't care. You're happy. Both of you are. That's all that matters." Senna smiled again.

"Well, thank you Mom!" Korra said, hugging her mother again.

"Yes, thank you." Asami stood up. "I'm so happy that you're so understanding."

"Have you told your father yet?" Senna asked, her face turning to a mask of worry.

"No, he hasn't come home yet. I'll wait for him to come home first." Korra said.

"Alright, well before you two run off, I've got something for you. Wait right there." Senna said, leaving the room.

Korra hugged Asami, then they held each other at arm's length.

"I'm so happy! Everything is so perfect! I didn't think she would be so easy." Korra confided.

"There's still your dad though, Korra." Asami reminded her.

Korra didn't care. Her father always was easier to convince on anything than her mother anyway.

Senna returned and gave Korra a small box, opening it to reveal a blue necklace with a sparkling turquoise stone.

"It's your grandmother's. I figured we should keep some things traditional." Senna said proudly.

"What is that, Korra?" Asami asked.

Korra smiled. "Turn around." She said, picking up the necklace. She fastened it around Asami's slender neck and turned Asami towards Korra and her mother.

"It's a betrothal necklace. We're official now." Korra said happily.

"Well, blue isn't really my color, but" Asami trailed off, examining the intricate designs of the stone.

"But what dear?" Senna asked.

"I can definitely make an exception. Thank you." Asami bowed to Senna.

"Oh, you don't have to bow to me." Senna chastisted. "You're family now. You always have been." Senna pulled both Korra and Asami into a hug. "I want you both to know how proud I am of you." She reassured them.

"Mom?" Korra said hesitantly. "What if Dad doesn't approve?"

"He will. I know he will. Don't worry about it." Senna said. "In the meantime, why don't you join Jinora and Ikki? Go have some fun." Senna said, going into the kitchen.

Korra hugged Asami once again.

"Well, that wasn't so bad." Korra said.

"I told you it wouldn't be." Asami smiled, her green eyes lighting up. "You worry too much."

Hand in hand, they left to watch the kids slide on some penguins, Asami's new necklace glowing in the sunlight as bright as the love between newlyweds.