Chapter 19

After the human left the house, I took whatever magic I could gather and teleported across town. I don't exactly know where, all I know is that it is far from the house. This will make it harder for the locals to track me after what I'm going to do. I kept myself in the shadows of an alley until I heard the footsteps of my target approaching.

Getting closer and closer.

Then without any warning I grabbed him and pulled him into the alley. I may not have all my strength, but I am naturally stronger than humans. So therefore, it was easy to subdue the human in my grasp.

From there I cut him, bruised him, shrouded him in darkness so he couldn't see a thing.

And my oh my, his fear was delightful.

He screamed but he was quickly muffled as one of my appendages wrapped itself around his throat, slowly squeezing his neck. That turned his screams to become quieter and quieter. Eventually he passed out. I tisked and let him drop to the ground.

His fear didn't get me even a tiny bit closer to my goal. D*** it. And I don't have enough magic to teleport too far either. Which means I have to follow the shadows.

I walked over to the darkest corner of the alley and used it like a portal. It's the oldest trick in the book. Going through the shadows isn't a problem for me, magic or not, a being of negativity such as myself has many abilities that can be used without the aid of magic.

I slowly emerged from the shadows, making sure that the shadows didn't take me to a wrong turn. It's been a while since I've used the shadows and much of the terrain I was once used to have changed. But to my surprise instead of the shadows changing, they actually grew. There are many more places where I can travel from. Maybe even one to the library!

I shook my skull, no. First things first, I need to get my magic back. At least enough to be properly prepared. If I was to get caught in the library and some idiot decided to turn on all the lights, then there won't be any shadows strong enough for me to travel through. So therefore, I need at least a hint of magic to use as a last-minute escape.

I once again hid in an alley, a different one of course, as I waited. To my surprising luck not only did I get one target, but now I have two. A 'lovely' couple were taking a midnight stroll through town. Two for the price of one.

Once they got close enough, I snatched the female one first, out of instinct the male ran after her. I pinned both of them to the wall and gagged them by putting an appendage on top of their mouths. The girl struggled and tried to scream while the male was frozen in place. I've done my research on the human mind a bit and learned humans have a system called a 'Fight or Flight Mode' . It basically said that when in danger the human mind will make an instinct-based decision on whether it should fight the threat or run from it. Though interesting enough, before the decision the human mind goes into a state called 'Freeze' which is basically the delayed response to the threat causing the body to freeze in place while it fully registers what is the next best course of action. This male human seemed to be in that state.

Pathetic.

I took the female human and positioned her right next to me. I didn't let her get by any means, I just wanted to make sure that the male could see her. I let loose an evil and vicious smile creep across my face. The male human seemed to come out of his frozen state and was looking at his female companion.

The fear in his eyes was perfect.

I tighten my grip on her causing a loud crack and snap scream through the air. Followed by her sad attempt at screaming. The male tried to BREAK out of my grip, but I didn't let him. Hehe, I may not do them often, but I do love a dark pun and/or joke from time to time.