The Double

VERA

"Fuck we're out of bacon" I huff to myself. It was 12 pm and I decided on making the classic pancakes, eggs, and bacon. Looks like I'm just gonna have the pancakes and eggs bit. I grabbed the frying pan and placed it on a medium low fire before beating the eggs.

I didn't have any plans for today but possible the mall if I felt up for it.

"Yes this she" I heard my mom say coming down the steps. I would've thought she'd sleep in for longer the way they've been working her like a dog.

Once I was done seasoning the eggs I dumped it in the hot pan. Eggs that were runny seemed inedible me to me especially sunny side up. Scrambled and boiled were my top two.

"Good Morning" My mother walked in the kitchen with a bright smile on her face.

"Morning.."

"Today is such a lovely day isn't it?" She geeks.

"Ma you good? feel a fever coming?" I ask concerned. In all my years of having Marie Miller as a mother I'd never known her to be so full of joy at this time of day.

"Oh I'm fine..." She nods trying to hide her joy.

"A friend of mines just wants to have dinner with us soon and meet you!" She proceeds.

"What kind of friend?" I question. I know all of her friends and this time she didn't specify a gender...is this headed where I think it is?

"Just this guy Randall I've been seeing for a couple of months" She revealed. A nigga named Randall? come on now.

"You've been seeing someone and didn't tell me? Mom?!!" I couldn't believe it..and how didn't I notice??

"I didn't want to tell you until I knew it was serious" She explains. Makes sense, she's always been the type to hate change.

"But you still could've told me..I'm not a little kid and would've been happy for you even despite that name of his " I giggle mixed my eggs.

"If it's a weekend won't I probably have dad's to go to?" I asked her

"We'll work it out and have it on a weekend that you're here" She assured.

"Sounds good." I reply.

"Well I'm going to shower and head out to run some errands wanna join?" She offered.

"No I'm just gonna stay back here plus these stupid ass teachers gave me a bunch of homework to do" I declined.

_______________

     It's been a couple hours since my mom left and now I was watching orange is the new black to be specific. I still haven't been able to get over Poussey's death...shit was fucked.

I was scrolling through my instagram feed and an unknown text message notification popped up. I'd set my phone up in a way where you wouldn't be able to see the message unless it was unlocked.

"Hey" it read.

________________

Unkown:

Hey

Me: Hi...who's this?

Oh my fault.
It's Corey

Me: how did you find my number?

Corey: From Monroe👩🏻‍💼

Me:makes sense.
Me: what do you want?

Corey: Geesh no "how are you?"

Me:you interrupted my show so 👎🏾

Corey: Ok
Corey: Well we're gonna have to take this tutoring thing over to my house

Me: Why your house? why not a coffee
Me:shop or even mines?"

Corey: Relax are you that afraid of me?🤣
Corey: just that I usually help Ava with the little kids on the compound and she won't be able to handle them alone for much longer

Me:Ava?

Corey: My friend back home, she's homeschooled so you definitely haven't seen her around

Me: I suppose that's fine

Corey: Bye👋🏼
________________

Who knew he had other friends? I threw my phone on the couch and continued the show.

_______________________________

This was all over the place

Vote

Comment

Thanks for reading<3