Part time who?

I clutched my sling bag tightly in my hand glancing around nervously. Me and the dark were complete enemies and it didn't do me any good to be walking in the dead of the night at that particular moment. I glanced over my shoulder, I thought I saw a shadow move freezing right to my spot. My every sense became alert. I turned around slowly and there was no one behind.

Chill out Mel, there's no one there. I told myself before continuing to walk down the street. I had just checked out of my shift 11pm and was on my way to the subways. I pulled my phone out of my coat when I was just a few metres away from the subway. I hated taking the train of course but at night, it was the safest mode of transport. I did not see myself ever getting a taxi home at night considering my lack of trust in the other gender.

I flipped my kinky afro away from my face as I sat down leaning my head against the window. A middle aged couple, a group of teenagers and a very much familiar man stepped into the train taking their seats too. The teenagers seemed so happy and were half dressed probably off to a party. I smiled leaning my head back onto the window. Once I was that happy and carefree too. Not that I was exactly wild, but I wasn't as timid as I was now. Always checking for potential danger. It really sucked to be me. 

The familiar man sat right opposite me. I felt his eyes on me and it made cringe involuntarily. Why would be just stare at me like that? After what seemed like forever, I looked away from the window and stared right into his face. He gave me a weak smile which I returned as politely as I could with a blank one.

"You're an ER nurse right?" He asked out of the blue making me sit upright.
"Yeah, you?"
"I work there too. I've seen you a couple of times back at the hospital," he said smiling some more.
"Oh, I thought I had seen your face somewhere too," I smiled, genuinely this time.
"I'm Dr Brian Wells," he said extending his hand which I hesitantly shook, "Melanie Reed."
"I've never seen you in a train though, I'm here all the time," I pointed out.
"I don't usually take the train, my car broke down so I left it at work and decided to come here."
"That's okay,"
"I've not seen you being that interactive back at work, why is that?"
I bit my bottom lip rummaging through mind for a good excuse. I didn't want the man throwing a pity party for me. I had had enough of those.
"No reason, I could say I'm not that socially great," I smiled hoping he'd stop asking too many questions cause I was not ready to answer any.
"I feel you," he said leaning back into the seat. We just sat in peaceful silence. The train came to a stop and I stood up throwing my small bag  over my shoulder.
"I get off here," I told him and from the corner of my eye saw him get to his feet too. He followed me out of the subway station and by that time my heart was beating right out of my chest. Why in the hell was he following me?
"I get off here too," he said smiling sweetly. I just nodded my head, I didn't want people. I was perfectly fine by myself.
We walked side to side, he talked for the rest of the way and I just nodded and said 'yeah' here and there. I got to my apartment and stood by the building entrance.
"See you at work tomorrow," I said with a slight bow. He smiled again checking his wrist watch.
"Sure. I better go, I've classes at 7 in the morning, I could really use a few hours of sleep,"
"Classes?" I asked.
"Yeah, I tutor English language online. I use that extra money for gas and other basics," he chuckled lightly.
"Oh that's good. You're real patient though, I don't see myself teaching anyone anything," I chuckled too. Turned out I was beginning to warm up to Brian, seeing as he wasn't so keen to leave.
"I do it for the extra cash and also a bit of passion. I gotta go," he said giving me a side hug. My whole body froze as his hands came in contact with my body. I couldn't breathe, I felt suffocated. He must have felt my rigid body because he immediately let go.
"I'm sorry, I shouldn't have done that," he apologised. I just looked at him and nodded. He smiled again before walking away, turning once to wave. I just waved back like a robot.

My hand traced the place where his had touched right above my shoulder. He was just being friendly, side hug, shoulder instead of back or waist. And here I was frozen. Problem wasn't with the side hug or him touching me. It was because I felt his hand instead. Not Brian's.

I glanced around me before running into the apartment building. I unlocked my apartment and locked myself inside before doing my routine check on the windows.

I hated being this scared...